Chapter 15 - The Visit

~~~ CHAPTER 15 - THE VISIT ~~~

Now, never think that it was the happy ending that I had been wishing all this time! For, just when I thought the world stopped, the door bell rang.

At first, neither of us seemed to pay any attention to it. Nigel's mouth was about on its way to find my waiting but quivering lips when the bell rang again. I could just tell his mouth was a millimeter away from mine. I could almost taste his inviting lips. Then, the stupid door bell rang again. The distracting sound reverberated the hall.

Oh, crap! This was unbelievable!

I heard him stifled a groan in irritation. My heart stopped beating I thought I had died.

Nigel slowly pulled away from me. He cleared his throat as he stood up.

But, Suzana came out from the kitchen and rushed to open the door just before Nigel could take a step towards it. What! How could I forget that Suzana was still around in the kitchen, preparing our dinner! Did she somehow sense what was supposed to happen with Nigel and me in the living room? I couldn't help my face turning into a tomato!

Nigel glanced at me, his hand ruffling his dark hair. And that was the moment when I remembered that I was still lying on the sofa. Immediately, I hopped on the floor to stand up as my hands tried to fix my fuchsia pink loose cotton shirt and my white capris in proper place.

He glanced at me again with a teasing look. A smirk formed in his lips as if to remind me what had just happened between the two of us. I looked away for I didn't want him to see how red my cheeks were now.

"Señorito, the Señora is here!" Suzana announced.

Nigel and I simultaneously turned our heads to the main door and, there, Mommy Carol, like a majestic queen, made her entrance to the unit.

The sight of that marvellous woman coming in instantly showered my heart with much longing. Finally, my shoulder to cry on, my firm support, my evermissed Mommy Carol had come to visit me!

"Mommy!" I cried out loud and sprinted quickly to her.

I was like a baby as I hugged her tight. I kissed her cheeks and her forehead while she hugged me tight, too. It was quite a dramatic moment for the both of us. She was teary-eyed like me.

"I missed you so much, mommy," I disclosed as my chin leaned on one of her shoulders. "Oh, you can't imagine how much I missed you!"

"Darling, I can't describe how much I missed you, too," she replied hugging me still. "We've got a lot of catching up to do."

"Yes, yes, yes... I've got a lot of things to tell you..."

Nigel cleared his throat to catch our attention. Mom and I pulled away from each other and turned to him. Looking at him now, I sensed an awkward gap between the two of us.

He, on the other hand, was not looking at me anymore but to mommy. "Hey, mom! Why the sudden visit?" he inquired as if mom's presence did not excite him.

What kind of son was he?

Mommy Carol wiped the tears in her cheeks with her fingers. "Of course, I have to visit my daughter-in-law." Mom winked at me. "Have you been treating her nicely?"

My stupid cheeks blushed again as Nigel's eyes and mine met. "Ask her if she has been acting right," he immediately replied.

Acting right? What did he imply by that? Was he connoting that I had been acting wrong all my stay here? Was what just happened several minutes ago, like the two of us about to kiss, also wrong? He initiated it by the way! Not me! So was I the one acting wrong? How could he?