The middle.

Alani
"Hello, yes, I'm looking for Mr. McCann? I have a job interview with him and-" The receptionist cut me off and grabbed a piece of paper. "Oh, yes. You're the girl he's been raving about. Alani, correct?" I gave her a slight nod and she handed me the piece of paper.

"His office is on the top floor. Give him this when you get up there and honey?" I glanced back up at her. "Don't get too close to that family. They're all two sandwiches short of a picnic if you asked me." I giggled and nodded my head, heading towards the elevator.

The elevator was longer than what was anticipated because of how nervous I was. Would he like me? Was my accent too much for him?

When the elevator came to a halt, the doors opened slowly and there right in front of me were two wooden double doors. I stepped out and placed my hand on it before knocked. Before I got the chance to, the door swung open and I faced my possibly new boss.

"Ah, you're Alani? I thought they said you were from the United Kingdom or something..."

I cleared my throat and handed him the piece of paper. "The British Virgin Islands, sir." We stepped into his office and he shut the door behind us. It was amazingly huge and had a nice large window with a great view.

"Oh. Well have a seat and we'll discuss what your position will be here." Mr. McCann watched me closely as I sat down in front of his desk. He had to be in his late 40's and has a wedding ring on his finger so the fact that he stared at me gave me a bad vibe.

"Sir, thank you. I just wanted to say that because I came over here to be apart of the fashion industry and the fact that-"

"Excuse me? I'm sorry I didn't know you were going for that particular job, Alani." I nodded my head and gave him a questionable look. "Is that a problem?"

He tapped his fingers on his desk. "Not exactly but we don't exactly hire people of your kind for big corporate jobs like that one..."

I stood up slowly and eyed him coldly. "Pardon, sir? I don't think I understand you-"

He stood up as well and pointed to a picture on his wall. I suppose it was of his family. He had one small daughter and an older son that looked just like him. He was covered in tattoos and had a cheeky grin on his face while the rest of his family smiled happily. "That's my family, you see. My daughter Julia will run the company by the time she's 18. My son Jason...well..he's married but let's just say he isn't the easiest person to be around," I nodded. That one was clear.

"My wife, Jessica, she was my high school sweetheart. We built this company together-"

"Sir, I don't mean to interrupt you but what does this have to do with me getting the job?" He chuckled and sat back down. "It has everything to do with you getting the job. What color is my family?"

I shut my eyes and finally got the picture. "You see, Alana, you could've had the job had you been white."

I rose to my feet and gathered my purse. I started to walk out the office but turned around with a smile on my face. "With all do respect, sir. You're a racist asshole and I wouldn't want to work with or for you anyways." He looked shocked but said nothing.

"Oh, and it's Alani, bastard."
.
.
.