Chapter 3: Arrival

Bea Ashby:

Anxious.

That's how I felt when I woke up early this morning.

I roll out of bed and run my fingers through my hair with a small tug on my lips. I hate when my hair gets all tangled. I drag myself to my bathroom and the water to take a warm shower. Today, Justin would be moving in and to say less than enthusiastic would be a major understatement.

Noah, on the other hand, was counting the days down over the week when Justin would arrive just so he could laugh at me. All of this was just working to his advantage.

After taking a shower, I blow dry my hair and pull it back from my face into a ponytail. I couldn't be happier to see the regular brown strands back instead of the green hair I had been sporting a few days ago.

I pull up a pair of jean shorts over my legs and change into a white button up top before heading downstairs for some breakfast. Dad wasn't home which means he was probably at the institution to check up on Justin and finalize the process of bringing him here.

I was nervous about this. What if the guy hates me? Does he speak English? What if he tries to attack me or something? The last one seemed kinda crazy, but from what the clips of I've seen of him so far, I wouldn't be surprised if he did try to rip my head off.

When I reach the kitchen, Noah is sitting at the kitchen island with a bowl of cereal in front of him. He slurps the milk and shovels quick spoonfuls of cereal into his mouth, spilling droplets of milk everywhere. 

Why face scrunches up in distaste. Cringing, I ask, "Do you have to eat like a pig?"

"Do you have to criticize everything I do?" He retorts with a mouthful of cereal.

Noah swallows the food, wiping his mouth with the back of his hand. "You excited to see, Jungle Boy?" He grins and I roll my eyes at him. I pull out some yogurt and the tub filled with freshly cut inside from the fridge and then grab a bowl, a spoon, and the granola grain box. I set the things on the counter so I could start making my breakfast.

"You just love to see me suffer, don't you?" I respond, not looking up from what I was doing.

"You betcha!" I could practically see the grin on Noah's face even if I wasn't looking at him. "Morning," A new voice pipes in. I stiffen hearing Jennifer's voice. "Hi mom," Noah replies and I mumble a quick hello as well.

I didn't exactly like Jennifer. Usually, we both tend to ignore each other, but when it comes between Noah and I, that's when she puts her nosey little butt in between us. She always sides with her son and dad always has to agree with her.

"Aren't those shorts a little short, Beatrice?" Jennifer asks when I set my bowl down at the kitchen island.

I furrow my brows and glance down at my shorts. They covered my bum completely, they weren't ripped and they weren't cut off's either. "Um, no." I reply, sitting down.

Jennifer purses her red painted lips and grabs her freshly brewed cup of coffee from the coffee brewer.

I can see Noah snickering from the corner of my eye, but I don't care. I don't even regard what Jennifer has to say to me because she isn't my mother. Even when she'll be my legal stepmom she would never come close to it. The same way I won't ever consider Noah as my brother.

I eat a spoonful of my breakfast and watch the news from where I was sitting. "I have a business trip to attend in Paris. It's with some important buyers, so I won't be here next week. I hope you learned your lesson." Jennifer talks before taking a sip of coffee, her eyes set on me.