Chapter 5: Pronunciation

Bea Ashby:

"Hey," Grant smiles when I reach outside the small ice-cream parlour. 

His brown hair was styled up and his blue eyes were practically gleaming with joy as he stood up to greet me. "I missed you at the event. What happened to you? Jamie said there was some kind of emergency?" 

I sigh, "Sorry about that. We had a small issue so I couldn't make it." 

Grant gives me a soft smile, "Don't even worry about it." He places his hand onto the small of my back and pulls the door open, "After you," He grins. 

I blush, stepping in front of him and into the ice-cream parlour. Grant texted me last night if I wanted to meet up for ice cream today and I obviously agreed. 

We get out ice-cream and sit at a table by the window. The sun shines inside and makes the entire shop light up. I scoop a spoonful of ice-cream into my mouth and Grant does the same with his own treat. "Are you ready for school?" He asks and I shake my head no.

"I don't want to go back." I admit.

"Why not?" He frowns.

Grant was the description of the typical 'perfect' high school boy. He's the team captain of the soccer team, intelligent, good looking and a gentlemen. He has a ton of friends and school is nothing difficult for him.

"I don't want summer break to end. I like not having to worry about homework and exams." 

He laughs, leaning back into his seat, "I almost forgot about exams. I see your point." He gives me a smile, showing off a row of pearly white teeth.

Grant and I hangout for another hour or so before I have to leave. When I get home, Noah is in the kitchen looking for food with Milo by his side.

Milo hears my steps and turns around before running over to me. I drop to my knees so I can properly greet my dog with a nice good scratching behind the ears before I stand up and go upstairs, not bother to say a word to Noah.

Milo follows behind me as I make my way upstairs. I almost enter my room when curiosity gets the better of me. Dad isn't home so maybe Justin isn't.

I take a deep breath, taking one last look in the hallway. The house is silent expect for the the distant sound from the TV all the way downstairs. 

My hand slowly reaches out for the door handle when a deep, gruff voice startles me from behind. "Oh gosh!" I yelp, practically jumping 3 feet into the air. 

I have my hand over my heart as I spin on my heel to look at however was behind me. Of course it's Justin.

I can't read the expression on his face. He's just staring at me with blank, brown eyes, his eyebrows slightly furrowed. His long hair is falling over his face and his hands stay motionless by his side. "S-sorry," I stutter. 

He grunts in response and I move aside in a flustered manner. Justin doesn't say anything as he opens the door and walks in, closing the door shut behind him. As soon as he's gone, I lean against the wall and let myself slowly fall to the ground with my back against the wall. 

I can't believe I actually thought about going into his room. It's not like I'd find anything! All he owns is an old backpack which contains some of his belongings from the institution. 

With a sigh, I stand up and enter my room where Milo was already making himself comfortable on my bed. I plop down next to him and instantly start rubbing his stomach. That night I take a quick shower and then head downstairs.

Dad is in the living room reading a newspaper. He lower's his reading glasses when he hears my footsteps. "Hey there," 

"Hi," I smile. He pats the spot next to him on the couch, "Come, we need to talk about something." He tells me. 

I walk over and take the seat next to him. "Is something wrong?"

"No, I just wanted to see if you made any progress with Justin today." 

"Nope." I truthfully tell him. 

"Well... tomorrow I'm taking Justin to the doctors for another quick check up. Hopefully everything will go smoothly. I think tonight you and Justin should spend some time together and tomorrow after the doctors, maybe you can take him somewhere." Dad suggests.

I arch an eyebrow, "Like where?" 

He simply shrugs. "Anywhere you want. Maybe you guys could go swimming." 

"Can he even swim?" I ask curiously. 

"Most probably. And if not, that won't be a problem because you'll teach him." He grins as he stands up, leaving the living room before I can even protest.

A few minutes later I hear people coming downstairs and I see Justin and my dad making their way over. "Justin, my daughter would like to spend sometime with you. Let's go to the dinning room, yeah?" 

Taking a deep breath, I push myself up from the couch and follow behind them. We sit in the exact same spot as last time, right across from each other at the long table. 

Dad sends me an encouraging smile before leaving us. "So..." I whistle, looking around the room. This is so awkward. Neither of us have anything to say.

"Do you want to try pronouncing words?" I ask in a bored tone. Justin doesn't respond. "Okay.. say... avocado!" I randomly blurt. 

Justin stares at me as if i'm crazy. "Come, just try!" I tell him eagerly. I sit up straight in my seat. "Repeat after me, Av-o-ca-do." 

Nothing.

"Come on, just try. Avvvv-ooooo-caaa-doooo." I slur my words for him.

Justin's eyes flicker down to my lips as I repeat the same slur, but he doesn't say anything. I already know I'm pushing my luck. "Avocado," I repeat for him. For some odd reason, I want to hear him actually use his words.

For a split second, I see Justin part his lips as if he's about to speak, but he closes his mouth. 

Without a word, Justin pushes back the chair he's sitting in and abruptly stands up. I watch as he walks away from the dining room and disappear's from my view.

I guess tonight's hang out session was cut short. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

Hey there! Sorry it took so long to update :/ 

i've been super busy lately and i really need a break. Only two more weeks till winter break! Can't wait!

So how have you guys been? Hope everyone is doing well. 

Comment, vote and add if you want to! Are you guys enjoying this so far? Sorry if it's a little boring, things will get interesting soon. 

-Diana