Chapter 20: Mixed emotions

I've been lacking on motivation this past week due to the amount of stress i have for upcoming projects and tests so bear with me for the next few shitty chapters and long chapter update gaps. 

btw this chapter is a little messy and rushed and I'm sorry :-( 

~

Bea Ashby:

I nervously stared back at my reflexion in the mirror. My hair was out of its usual ponytail and cascading down my shoulders and I was in my, now, finished dressed. 

"Beatrice?" There was a knock on my bedroom door. 

Sighing, I turn away from the mirror and see Noah come into my room. "You ready?"

He's dressed up in a tux and his hair is styled. "Yeah," I reply, walking over. "Is everyone downstairs?" 

Noah nods, leading me out the room. When reach the last step, I take in notice of Jennifer who was patiently waiting for us. 

"Your father and Justin are already at the event. We need to hurry up so we can join them." 

Quickly, the three of us get into the car and drive to the where the event of Justin's three month stay would be happening. I could feel the anxiety build up inside of me from all the nerves. Justin and I haven't really been interacting as much due to his lack of wanting to be around me.

He was clearly avoiding me by staying in my dad's office for most of the days and hiding out in his tree at night. 

I was getting more worried for him as it's getting colder by the day and yet he still refuses to sleep inside. I haven't revealed his little secret to dad or Jennifer, even though dad should probably know about this small detail, and I don't plan to. I just wish he'd realize that fall and winter in New York isn't like it is in the Hamix Jungle.

"Noah, is your date meeting us at the party?" Jennifer asks, checking her makeup in her compact mirror.

Noah fiddles with his fingers in his lap, shaking his head. "I didn't ask anyone."

"Why not?"

"Just because." Noah grumbles lowly, obviously not wanting to discuss the topic any longer. Jennifer doesn't have time to question his reason when we are pulling up to event. We all climb out of the car and Jennifer takes the lead with both Noah and I behind her.

There's a few photographers out here tonight to get many photos and lots of guests who've come out here tonight to see Justin and my father.

A hand is placed on my arm, pulling me away and I turn to meet the familiar friendly eyes that I've known for so long. "You look absolutely stunning," Grant greets me and I let out a sigh of relief. "Thank you. You look nice." I comment, taking in his tux that is similar to Noah's.

"So glad I can be your date tonight. I must be the luckiest guy in the world." Grant says, placing my hand on his bicep as he leads us to the entrance. 

I can't help, but feel nervous. My mind seems to be focusing on anything, but Grant's words. If he had said this to me weeks ago, no months ago I might have exploded on the inside from happiness, but right now? I can only feel anxious as I searched for someone else.

"Are you alright, Beatrice?" Grant whispers in my ear, catching my attention.

"Huh? Perfectly fine."

He chuckles. "You seem a little... distracted" He decides after a short pause.

 "I'm fine." I respond bluntly, pulling away from him. "I need to find my father."