Chapter 34: Coconut drinks and secret conversations

Bea Ashby:

I woke up in the morning feel somewhat refreshed which was odd to me. Yesterday was boring as we all stayed in our huts to catch up on some rest while dad and the other Doctors left to do some work. Justin had gone with them of course.

Yawning, I removed the covers from myself and got out of bed to grab my suitcase and change out of my pyjamas.

In the end, I decided on a pair of shorts and a simple white t shirt. Today was suppose to be a relaxed day of just seeing the island. Our guide David explained that a minibus would be waiting for us the morning to take us to the coast of the island for breakfast before we would get to explore.

When I leave the hut, I'm greeted by Jennifer and Noah who are both dressed accordingly to the weather. "You don't understand how glad I am to be out of the snow." Jennifer says after we exchange good mornings. I nod, looking back at the other huts.

"They left early," Noah answers for me. "We're going to meet them there."

I nod and we pile into the minibus that was waiting for us. We arrive to the coast and I notice a big wooden table set up in the sand and near a palm tree to provide some shade.

Justin was wedged right between Doctor Ramone and Doctor Terrenlot with a blank look on his face.

"It's like they don't trust him," I whisper to Noah, glancing back at Justin who still hasn't looked up yet. I wanted to go over to him, but the way Doctor Terrenlot glares at me makes me uncomfortable to even look their way.

"Because they don't," Noah replies,"at least not Doctor Terrenlot."

I frown. "He wouldn't just run away." I say in a determined voice, refusing to believe Doctor Terrenlot's terrible assumptions. The only reason he would have to run away would be because of Doctor Terrenlot and her nasty behaviour.

Noah, Jennifer and I join the group at the table. Breakfast consisted of a large variety of fruits, breakfast sandwiches and freshly grilled meat that was cooked on the fire. It kind of felt like camping morning, but on the beach of an island rather than the woods.

"So, Bea," a voice speaks up and I freeze.

Doctor Terrenlot is looking right at me. At the sound of my name, Justin's head snaps right up for the first time.

"Are you adjusting well?" She asks.

I don't want to answer her. If anything I want to scream at her for all the horrible things she said about Justin being a test subject. I still haven't let that go. I do not like this woman at all.

"It's nice here." I simply reply, hoping she'd drop the conversation. This was just too uncomfortable.

"That's not what I'm asking."

What? I look at her in confusion and she sits up straighter. "I'm referring to this man's position in your family. Are you adjusting well to his presence?"

"Um it's fine." I reply, not wanting to give her an actual answer that she can analyze like the nosy little researcher she is.

"Just fine?" she raises an eyebrow at me.

"Yes." My voice is strained now.

Unfortunately for me, she doesn't stop there. "Your father says you and Justin are close. Is that true?"

Before I can reply, she asks another question. "Tell me, how close are you and Justin? Or is he closer with Noah? He should be right, since they are both the same gender so he should be showing Justin over here the ropes of this new environment."