Chapter 7: Tied back

Bea Ashby: 

"Im telling you, Jamie, he's not that interesting." I whisper lowly to my best friend as she scopes out the area, clearly searching for the boy from the jungle.

My words fall to deaf ears as she simply waves me off, "Oh, pish posh. I want to see him." 

I huff at her determination. "He's not some sort of art work that you can just look at." I remind her as we near my dad's office. Jamie suddenly halts and peers through the crack of my dad's office where Justin sat in a chair, surrounded by three different doctors, including my father.

He looked bored, as if he didn't want to be there. I don't blame him. He's supposed to be in a normal living situation yet the doctors are always coming back for checkups. 

"Thank you for stopping by," Dad stands up, holding his hand out to shake with the two other doctors. 

I quickly push Jamie out of the way so they wouldn't find us snooping behind the door and we escape to the kitchen where we 'casually' wait for Justin and my dad to leave his office. 

"So, what's he like?" Jamie asks, her eyes on Justin when he leaves the room. His back is towards us and his usual mess of unruly hair is falling over his shoulders.

"He's um...." I trail off, unsure of how to exactly describe the boy who just recently moved in with us. What was he even like? It's not like we have any actual conversations or anything. I already told Jamie about the pool incident, minus the Avocado part, and then we left it at that. 

"He's okay, I guess." I decide. 

Jamie gives me a weird look. "Okay? Just okay? I ask you what the guy who was trapped on an island for most of his life is like and all you say is okay?" She exclaims, throwing her hands up and letting them drop back to her sides. 

Before I can respond, I feel a hard jab to the side, "Ouch, what was that for-" 

"Shh, he's staring," Jamie excitedly hushes to me, her hand gripping my arm tightly. I pry her grip off me with a glare and look over to where she was pointedly looking. There Justin was, staring at the two off us. Dad walks over to his side, placing a hand on his shoulder to get his attention. He says something and then they start to approach us.

Jamie slaps my arm again, "Oh my god, he's coming this way," Jamie squeals. "Would you stop hitting me?" I respond. Damn it, she's acting as if he's some sort of celebrity. 

"Hi, Jamie." Dad greets and Jamie replies smoothly with a gentle hello. Justin stays quiet, his brown eyes staring right at me in a not so discreet manner. Uncomfortably, I shift my weight under his stare and look away. "Have you met, Justin?"

"Actually, I haven't," Dad introduces Justin to my best friend. He seems a little uninterested which doesn't surprise me. Justin never looks like he wants anything to do with anyone, not even with me. He only seems to be okay around my dad, which no doubt must have taken him some time to get to that level of trust.

"Beatrice, can I talk to you?" 

"Yeah, sure." 

"Excuse us," Dad pulls me aside and looks back over at Justin for a second where he stood in front of Jamie. She's saying something to him, but I'm not sure if he's even listening. Not that he would understand much, anyway. 

"I was wondering if you would take Justin out somewhere tomorrow. You can bring Jamie, Noah or Hayden along too, if you like." Dad whispers. 

His words make my head snap up so fast I'm surprised I didn't give myself whiplash. "Let me get this straight, you trust me enough to take Justin out somewhere without you?" He can't be serious.