Chapter 23: First snow day disaster

Bea Ashby:

"Hey," I knock on Justin's open door which catches his attention.

He looks up from his notebook, instantly closing it shut. He looked slightly alarmed at first, but relaxed a little when he saw it was just me.

"Do you want to read for a bit?" I ask, hoping he'll say yes. He merely shrugs and I almost don't catch his movement from how un interested he seemed.

Walking in, I grab the Jungle Book from his desk and open it up to where we last left off. It's been awhile since our last reading together.

"Do you want to read?"

Silence.

Sighing, I take that as a yes and try to comfortably adjust myself on the couch. Justin sat next to me, keeping a good distance away from me, but I tried to ignore that. Half way through the reading, I look up and notice a frown on Justin's face.

"What? What's wrong?" I slightly panic. He points to the window and I see what's he looking at.

It's snowing.

The expression on his face represented confusion. Chuckling, I close the book and walk over to the window. "It's snowing," I repeat to myself, watching as the small white flecks of snow fell from the sky and covered our backyard.

Turning, I face Justin with a slightly excited look. "Do you want to go outside?"

Justin violently shakes his head, standing up right away to return to the bed, hugging his notebook to his chest. He didn't seem to want to let that go and kept it with him this entire time.

"It's just snow, Justin. It won't hurt you, I promise." I say in a soothing voice. If he doesn't want to go out after this I will stop. I don't want to pressure him, I just want him to experience this. I think everyone should at least experience something like this once in their lives.

"We'll dress up appropriately and we will come back in when you say so."

Justin looks at me before looking back at the window. He huffs before standing up, striding to the table where he opened a drawer and neatly placed the notebook inside. With a final nod, he walked past me and I hurried after him.

"Wait! We need to get dressed. You can't just-" Too late. He's already opened the door to the balcony connected to his room and headed outside into the cold, crisp, winter air.

I watch as his feet touch the cold snow on the balcony floor and see how the cold wind pushes against his skin.

Then before I can even comprehend anything else, Justin is jumping from the edge of the balcony and down into the heavy bank of snow, only dressed in a long sleeved shirt and pants.

"Justin!" I screech, running to the edge of the rail. This wasn't suppose to happen! Oh my god. "Noah!" I yell loudly, rushing out the room.

"What's wrong?" He calls out as he see's me run past him. I don't even answer as I grab one of the blankets from the living room and shove my feet into whoever's shoes were at the door.

I run outside to where Justin stood barefoot in the cold snow, taking it all in. He seemed in aw, ignoring the fact that his fingers and toes were probably freezing and about to fall off.

"Justin, you need to come inside." I shiver, feeling the cold wind. I instantly wrap the blanket around him and that's when he seems to come out from his daze, finally noticing me.

He frowns, shaking off the blanket and dropping it back over my shoulders. "C-cold." He mutters and I almost want to shout that I know that, but instead I gently take his arm and direct him back inside the house.