Chapter 15: Cold

Bea Ashby: 

"You are officially off punishment," Dad sighs, running his fingers through his hair. My eyes widen. "Really?" I didn't bother to hide my excitement. It's been another uneventful week of not getting even close to Justin and finally, dad is taking off the punishment.

Ever since the day he inserted a syringe to Justin's neck, we had been on edge. Justin went back to the institute and dad informed us that Justin would be returning to our home again. Relief is all I felt. I was worried about him, if I'm being honest. I wonder how he's feeling.

"Yes," He nods. "Bea, I know you were upset about the punishment, but you have to understand I did it for Justin's safety. Hopefully nothing like that will happen again." 

I stare down at my feet. We haven't discussed what happened a week ago with Justin going on a complete rage. Dad didn't want to talk about it.

Dad twirls his car keys on his pointer finger. "I'm going to pick up Justin. You can catch up with him after dinner." 

Nodding, I go up to my room and start on my homework. Two weeks in and I'm already getting pilled up with homework. My phone buzzes indicating I got a text. It's from Jamie.

From Jamie: 

Hey we still on for our shopping trip this weekend? 

The fall dance was happening in October. Jamie and I agreed to start dress hunting this weekend to find the perfect dress. I know I won't have time to do it later, so its better we go sooner. 

I remember when Grant asked me over the summer if I would be his date. I couldn't wait to go with him. My heart fluttered just from the thought of Grant and I at the dance. 

I respond to Jamie's text, assuring her that we were for sure going together to shop for dresses on Saturday before getting back to my homework. 

"Bea, Dinner!" Noah knocks harshly on my door. I push away my textbook and pull my hair out from it's ponytail before redoing it. 

I felt nervous for some reason. I wasn't too sure why. Maybe because I hadn't seen Justin in a little while. I know it's just been over a week, but for some reason I felt like this was the first time I would be seeing him.

My feet skid down the stairs, jumping the last two steps. Even if I'm nervous, I couldn't help but be a little anxious. I wanted to see Justin. I missed him.

When I reach the table I stop in my tracks instantly. Justin was there, staring down at his plate. "Ah, good to see you joining us, Beatrice." Dad smiled, he gestured to my seat farthest away from Justin. "Sit, we're going to start." 

Jennifer and Noah eye me curiously as I slowly take my seat away from Justin. He doesn't even look up from his plate from the mention of my name. 

The entire dinner I sit in silence, picking at my food while my dad, Jennifer and Noah talk. Justin and I don't say anything, nor do does he look my way.

I couldn't help, but feel a little upset. So he's gone for over a week and now we're back to square one? Don't overreact, Bea. I try to calm myself. Just cause he doesn't look up at you doesn't mean the guy hates you... or does he? The last time I saw him, he was angry and next thing I know, falling to the ground after being injected with a needle. 

The dinner takes forever to end. When it does, I wait for the right moment to talk to Justin. 

Once the table is cleared up and the other three are gone, I make my move to go talk to him. "Justin, hey," I smile lightly, standing right across from him. He looks up from the table for the first time, his cold harsh eyes looking right into mine.

I feel my hands get sweaty and I awkwardly wipe them on my jeans. "Do you want to work on some writing or reading?" I casually ask, picking at the end of my shirt. I felt awkward, but I wasn't really sure how to act around him due to our situation. How do you talk to someone after they are taken away for a bit due to their aggressiveness? 

"No, B-bea" He says. I'm surprised that he called me Bea since he usually never does. He only calls me Avocado.

Justin's jaw clenches and I sense that he doesn't want me around him. I slowly back away. "Oh.." I mumble. "O-okay." My voice cracks and I bite my lower lip. 

"Justin!" I hear my dad call out for him and Justin instantly stands up. "Let's get to the office, yeah? We've got a little over a week worth of work to catch up on." 

Justin nods, walking around the table, pushing past me with a simple shoulder touch, not even looking back at me. He hated me, didn't he? Of course he did.

I watch as the two disappear into my dad's office, closing the door tightly behind them. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

Just a short filler chapter! Btw, I have a new fanfic coming out so I'll let you guys know when it's out, just in case you want to read it. It's gonna be called 'how to be parents' and yeah I'm excited!! :) 

-Diana