Chapter 33: Welcome to Hamix island

Bea Ashby:

"I don't think he should leave," I overhear from behind the door of the plane. We were all currently situated on the private plane on our way to Hamix island. Dad, Doctor Ramone and Doctor Terrenlot were all in the private room on the plane, discussing work stuff.

"He can't stay with you forever, Doctor Ashby," Doctor Ramone sighs, "Remember, his position in your family is not permanent or official."

"It could be."

"No," Doctor Terrenlot cuts in, "Remember what we discussed, Doctor Ashby? We agreed he'd settle in with you and your family for a few months to give him a sense of familiarity with other humans, to allow him to socialize before we take him to the lab to conduct tests on feral children."

"He's not feral." Dad interjects.

"Doctor Ashby, do I need to remind you that we found him alone on an island which we are returning to right now to gather more evidence and to inspect his return to his previous environment?"

"He's not completely feral. His communication skills are beyond amazing compared to others we've read about. If he was really feral he would not have been able to communicate or form proper words at his age. Communication and socialization is crucial from birth to be taught from others and he obviously had that. Therefore he is not completely feral."

I glance over at Justin who had finally calmed down a few hours after our departure. He had completely freaked out about getting onto the airplane, not being use to it and all. On the way over he had been held down and taken care of to be asleep for most of the flight, but this time they wanted to see if could handle the flight without the need to be held down. He freaked out, at first, but eventually calmed down when dad sat with him and said a few words.

Soon the plane made it's landing, the pilot announcing that we made it to Hamix Island. I suddenly felt nervous. We were actually here!

"Welcome to Hamix island everyone!" Our guide, David, shouted.

After claiming our carry on, we depart from the plane and into the small airport. They've been spending the last few months working on the island so we could return. This place has been under construction for about a year until they found Justin and had to stop working until my father and the rest of the doctors could get a hold of him and make sure he wasn't alone.

The air was warm and humid compared to back home in New York and it felt nice to be back in the warmth rather than the usual cold.

Justin was accompanied by my father and Doctor Ramone while Doctor Terrenlot lead the way with one of our tour guides. Noah and Jennifer trailed behind them and I was at the very back of the group.

We were lead outside where our guide, David, would drive us to where we would be staying for the rest of the trip.

The weather was very humid compared to New York and it felt nice to have the warm sun shining down on my skin for the first time since it started getting colder out there.

David leads us to what looks like one mini bus in the form of a golf cart since it had no doors. "Hop on!" He grinned, grabbing our baggages to put them in the back.

We all pilled on and I notice Justin getting ready to take the seat next to me, but Doctor Terrenlot placed a hand on his shoulder, directing him to the seat next to my dad.

He shrugged her hand off his shoulder and grumpily took the seat next to my dad and she allowed herself to slide into the seat on his other side.

I sat next to Noah and Jennifer while Doctor Ramone sat up with David in the front.

I was tense the whole ride. I couldn't shake the way Doctor Terrenlot looked between us skeptically.

Looking away, I made sure not to look in their way for the rest of the ride. Instead, Noah and I chatted, but I mostly stayed quiet as he pointed to different parts of the island in amazement.

My dad knew Justin and I had gotten closer, it was obvious. But I made the point to keep whatever feelings we had towards each other on the down low. I was just worried about the way he would react if he found out that I liked Justin more than a friend or as someone who's come to stay with us because of his job. I know Justin's stay wasn't permanent, but it worried me.

I don't want him to go. Since he's gotten here, I've forgotten what it was like to not have him around.

This time I allowed my self to sneak a peek at him. Since he was wedged him between my dad and Doctor Terrenlot he couldn't jump out the cart for any reasons even though the look on in his eyes screamed recognition of his h- old home. He lives with us now.

I look away before I can get caught by Doctor Terrenlot. It was never thrown out there, but there's an onions rule that the patient, Justin, isn't allowed to have a close relationship with anyone. He wasn't even suppose to come live with us until my dad kept persisting. He had to explain all the good outcomes to the board before they before they all could make a decision on what to do with the new found man who was trapped on island since childhood.

I started to worry. What would happen if dad found out? Would he tell the others? He would have to, wouldn't he?

Worrying thoughts took over my mind that I didn't even realize we had stopped to get off the mini bus.

"Bea, are you coming or what?" Dad laughed. I snapped my head up to see everyone off the bus and patiently waiting for me.

"Oh sorry," I replied all too quickly, practically jumping off the bus and almost falling flat onto my face. That is when Justin reached out and caught me before I could.

His action surprised me, taking me off guard, and I instantly got all flustered by the way he looked down at me curiously from my strange behaviour.

I pushed away as quickly as I fell into him, dusting off the imaginary dirt on my pants. "Uh, ready to go!" I awkwardly give the group a thumbs up and they all stare at me in pure confusion.

"Okayyy..." David drags out, turning towards the rows of little huts. "We have arrived to our destination! For now we have these built around the island until the airport and hotel constructions are done so you guys will be staying here." He explains, leading us closer.

I inwardly facepalm myself. Did I seriously just do that? I'm so awkward today!

Noah sent a look of concern my way. "You... Okay?" He questions. Oh my God, Noah. He somewhat knows about Justin and I, but he obviously hasn't said a word. Before, I wouldn't have ever trusted him, but now I trust him enough to know he wouldn't say a word to my dad or his mom.

"Im fine." I lowly mumble.

The huts were divided for everyone. Doctor Terrenlot, Doctor Ramone and my dad and Jennifer got their own huts, dad and Jennifer were staying in the same one.

Then there were questions for how Noah, Justin and I would room. At first, Doctor Terrenlot requested him with her, but dad cut in and said that it might have been better if he roomed with Noah instead.

Everyone then agreed to it so in the end I got one of the huts to myself. It was next to Noah and Justin's hut.

"Cheer up, Beatrice," dad wrapped an arm around my shoulder as we approached my hut. "This week is all about having fun and getting to see where Justin grew up. Try to enjoy yourself!"

I sighed. This is going to be a very long week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N:

Hello hello hello!! Long time no update. Sorry for the very long wait, I've been super duper busy with school and I just don't have as much time to type anymore :/ but winter break is coming up so hopefully I'll be able to update more then :)

Hope you're all doing well!

-Diana