Chapter 40: The missing piece

Yesterday I got a gum graft and basically I'm in some pain since my mouth has been really numb and I can't really talk. My diet consists of rice, mashed potatoes, soup, macaroni, yogurt and ice cream aha. 

So ya it sucks, but oh well. Anyways I hope you guys enjoy this chapter!

~

Bea Ashby:

"Hey!" I shout when Paul, Noah's best friend, swoops in and grabs my bowl of ice cream from me.

He doesn't even hesitate as he uses my spoon to scoop the cold dessert and shoves it into his mouth. I make a face at him when he offers to feed me a spoonful of ice cream with the spoon that was originally mine. "All yours," I say and he grins, shoving more spoonfuls of ice cream into his mouth.

"Who let him in, anyway?" I grumble to myself.

Paul cheekily smiles as he points to Noah who's lounging on the sofa, scratching Milo tenderly who was basking in the attention.

I eventually drop back down into the seat next to Paul as he eats and scrolls through his phone. It's a Saturday evening and none of us have any plans so we are all just relaxing in the living room.

Its quiet except for the sound of Paul humming a familiar song as he nods his head to himself and I find my mind already starting to drift to thoughts that I can't seem to shake. 

These past couple of months have been difficult.

The tension at home is so painfully obvious, but nobody dares bring it up. I guess we all think it's easier to try and ignore it rather than talk about it.

My dad has been extremely distant with all of us and I can see the impact it has on Jennifer. It's especially bad since the wedding is less than a month away. 

It's April meaning it's been almost five months since I've seen Justin.

Five whole months. 

It was so much harder than the first time when Justin was gone for two months due to all the behavioural issues. It was affecting us all.

Dad hasn't been the same. He's constantly working and keeping everything to himself which is frustrating Jennifer since she seems to be out of the loop like Noah and I. I can tell they are both trying to keep it together, but there's an obvious shift in everyone's mood ever since Justin's absence.

Dad and Jennifer have been arguing more too. And not just little disagreements, more like full on arguments. 

I feel like their fighting is why they've both been so distant with each other. There's some occasional small talk, but they are both so cold around each other and that certainly cannot be good considering the wedding is only weeks away.

It's as if Justin was this missing piece to our family that we didn't even know was missing. 

Sure, we had a bit of a rough start with the whole adjustment, but he's brought this family so much closer. Last year I could barely stand Noah or Jennifer and now, they are two people whom I trust deeply and care for. 

Justin is apart of our family. And it's absolutely heart wrenching that he isn't here with us... where he belongs. With me.

With everything going on, I've be talking with Isla. Usually over the phone, but she messages me every now and then to see how I'm doing. She left back in February saying she needed to go back home and get back to her regular day life, but she gave me her number saying that if I wanted to talk to her, I shouldn't hesitate to do so. It was nice because she wasn't forcing me to give her my number, instead I would have hers and if I wanted to, I could call her. If not, I didn't have to do anything.

The sound of the front door opening and slamming shut is heard. "You know what, Vince? I hate this! Its like you can't even form a proper sentence around me. When did you get so cold?" Jennifer is screaming and I hear muffled voices go back and forth.

All three of us tense up. "Backyard?" Paul asks and Noah nods. They both stand and Milo is ready to follow, but I stay back.

"Things are stressful at work!" I hear him yell back.

"Well, I've put that together, but why, I don't know because you don't tell me anything!"

"Maybe I don't want to tell you, have you ever thought of that? I don't have time to discuss my feelings right now so I'm sorry if I need some space to solve out all my issues." Then silence. 

"You know what, Vince?" I hear Jennifer say, "I'm done trying." 

I gasp. What? Then she continues, "You obviously have things you need to resolve and since you believe that for some reason, that you cannot confide in me, then fine!" Their voices are getting progressively louder as I approach the two.

"Maybe we should postpone the wedding." Dad suddenly says, his voice low. This makes me free in my spot. I can see them now. 

"Maybe we should." Jennifer's voice cracks. I can tell she's trying very hard to keep herself together as the tears start to form in her eyes. 

Dad doesn't say anything else as he walks out the front door. 

Jennifer stands still and then I rush over to her, wrapping my arms around her. That's when she starts to sob. I hug her and she pours out all her tears. "I just miss him." She says in between cries. 

"I understand." I murmur. And I really do.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N:

Its so short I'm sorry :( 

-Diana