Chapter 16: Homesick

Bea Ashby:

"Okay, let's start," I open up my science textbook.

Grant and I were in my kitchen, studying together for our big Chemistry test tomorrow. I'd been studying all week and we decide to get together tonight to review before the test.

I had set up a bowl of grapes, apple slices and some lemonade out to snack on while we studied together. I stuck an apple slice into my mouth and slowly chewed as Grant drank down some lemonade. "Do you want to review from the start?" 

"I got the first few lessons down so unless you want to?"

"I know them as well. So let's just get into the more recent stuff?" 

"Sure," I twirl my pencil between my fingers, skimming through my textbook. It's been a few days since Justin has returned and everything was back to the regular schedule. His tutor came by everyday for a few hours while Noah and I were at school and then he'd hide out in my dad's office or be in the basement to work out.

He hasn't had any anger issues so that was good, but he was completely cold with me. He didn't even acknowledge me and I was worried. Did he really hate me? 

Soon the sound of animal feet pattering against the floor was heard and I knew it was my dog Milo. He barked loudly, wagging his tail as he circled my chair happily and I leaned over to pat him. 

That's when I heard a grunt from behind me and instantly sat up straight, swivelling in my chair. It was Justin.

He casually walked around the kitchen island, going to the table near by to grab his notebook. He didn't take notice in me or Grant.

The boy next to me arched an eyebrow and I shrugged, looking back down at my textbook with a huff. "Hey, Justin," Grant called out and I winced. What was he doing? Last time Grant was here, Justin got a little... aggravated. 

Justin glared at Grant, "What?" He spoke in a firm tone, taking me by surprise. I honestly thought Justin wouldn't waste his breath on Grant, thinking he wasn't even worth talking to. He didn't stutter either, quite confident with his tone. 

Dad did mention that his english was improving immensely. "How's it going?" Grant smiles warmly to the man. He's just being nice, Bea. Don't worry about it. The voice in my head says, but I couldn't help, but be a little anxious.

Justin growls lowly under his breath and I notice his fists clench and unclench by his sides. Uh oh. 

"F-fine." 

"Grant, we should really get started," I try to stir him away from the small conversation he was trying to have with Justin.

"Hang on," He turns back to Justin and I bite my lower lip. "Are you still working on your writing? Can I see?"

"No," Justin flat out answers, unamused. 

Placing a hand on Grant's shoulder, I try to get him to stop. "Come on, Grant." 

Grant finally get's the message, looking between Justin and I before he backs down. "Alright." He sighs, turning back to face his textbook.

I look back at Justin with a disappointed look on my face, feeling a little down. Justin glared back at Grant and I and I turned away, feeling his eyes burn into the back of my head.

Grant scoots a little closer to me, grabbing a grape before placing it between his teeth. I chuckle and our shoulder's brush lightly against each other. "We seriously need to start." 

We get to work and Justin eventually leaves. Grant and I study for about four hours before he has to leave for dinner with his family. 

When he's gone, I grab a light jacket and my car keys, telling my dad that I would be leaving. Once I'm in my car, I drive to the nearest book store. I want to buy a new book, I need some new reading material.