Steve- Family Party pt. 2

You took Steve's hand and led him back inside, your heartbeat getting faster. Your sister turned her head to see who had entered, and rushed over when she saw it was you.

"Listen, Y/N, we didn't mean what we said. We were just joking, you know? Wait," her eyes landed on Steve and widened. "Who is this?"

"Steve Rodgers," Steve smiled, shaking your sister's hand politely. "It's very nice to finally meet you. Sorry I'm late."

"Oh, there's no need to apologize," she giggled, her face turning pink. "Well, come on, Y/N, let's go introduce Steve to everyone."

You flashed a sarcastic smile and let her pass by you and into the kitchen so you could walk next to Steve.

"You're going to want a beer," you muttered.

He laughed slightly, "I can't get drunk, Y/N. Not even buzzed."

"Yeah well neither can I. But it helps," you lifted your wine glass and took another gulp.

"Y/N! Come on!"

"Duty calls," you sighed, and led him into the thick of the party.

You spent what seemed like an eternity introducing Steve to everyone. He was an amazing sport, and acted genuinely interested in each person you met. Although, knowing him, he probably was genuine. A while later, you were sitting at the table with your family eating dinner, and they suddenly went into rapid fire question mode.

"So, Steve, what is it you do for a living? Sounds like you have a pretty demanding schedule," an uncle prompted.

"I, uh, work for the government. Technically, I'm a captain, but it's really nothing fancy."

"And where did you and Y/N meet?"

"Work," you said quickly.

Steve nodded and glanced at you happily. "Yeah, I showed her around on her first day." He put his hand over yours, and you instantly felt loved.

"Y/N, you work for the government? What do you do, get coffee?"  Your sister's best friend snickered.

You felt your body tense as the comment left her mouth, and Steve's face showed his shock.

"No, actually, she's one of the best people in her department," he defended you.

"Yeah, the secretary department I'm sure," she laughed.

Your fists clenched under the table, and Steve glanced over, recognizing that you were losing control. As your sister laughed along with her friend, you saw Steve's beer bottle lifting off the table out of the corner of your eye. He saw it too and grabbed it before anyone could notice.

"Excuse me, I need some air," you muttered, and quickly left the table.

Steve immediately stood to follow you, but paused behind his chair.

"With all due respect," he said sharply, "I think you should all recognize what an extraordinarily person Y/N is. And I think you should give her the respect she deserves instead of belittling every word out of her mouth." He picked up his jacket from the couch and headed for the door.

Steve found you on the front stoop, you head and arms hanging. A small potted plant floated in front of you, and in a sudden flash of anger, you sent it crashing to the ground. He approached you slowly and helped you up until you were standing. Before he knew it, your face was buried in his chest, and you were crying softly.

"Hey, it's okay," he whispered. "Come on, let's go home."

"I'm sorry," you sniffed once you guys were in the car. "You shouldn't have come, it was a waste of time."

"Don't say that," he insisted, putting his hand on your thigh. "As long as I'm with you, my time is not being wasted."

"Oh my god," you smiled softly and Steve grinned. "That is possibly the cheesiest thing you've ever said."

"Hey, I may be a big old cheeseball, but you still love me."

You looked over at him and put your hand on his shoulder.

"You could not be more right."