Peter Parker- Chemistry

You walked into your first day of chemistry at your new high school, clutching your printed out schedule in your hand. Coming into a completely new school three months into senior year was basically social suicide, but you didn't have a choice. Your dad had gotten a new job and moved your family halfway across the country, not taking his daughter's feelings into consideration. You ignored the stares from the other students sitting in front of you and hustled to the only empty lab table at the back of the room. You quickly put your bag down and pulled out a notebook and pencil, trying to act as casual as possible. The bell rang and your teacher entered the room, opening his attendance book.

"Good afternoon, everyone," he glanced up to survey which students were present. "Today we have a new student joining us. Y/N Y/L/N. I trust you will all be kind and help her catch up if need be."

Your face turned pink as the entire class turned to look at you, and you muttered a quiet thanks. Suddenly, the classroom door swung open, drawing the attention away from you. A tall, lanky boy with messy brown hair and rectangular black glasses entered, pulling at his sweatshirt as if he had just put it on.

"Mr. Parker," the teacher said, sounding somewhat bored. "Nice of you to join us. Take a seat in the back next to Miss Y/L/N, please. Help her catch up."

The boy nodded and walked back towards where you sat, and plopped down on the stool next to you. He smiled politely as he pulled a notebook from his backpack and slapped it onto the table.

"I'm Peter, by the way," he said.

"Y/N."

"Nice name."

"Thanks. Peters cool too."

"I know."

You smiled softly and looked back up at the teacher, who was explaining the experiment you were supposed to be doing. Without listening to what he was saying, Peter began pulling out different tools from the table's drawers. You watched wearily out of the corner of your eye as be turned and grabbed a few different vials of chemicals from the cabinet behind him. He turned back around and looked at you with his eyebrows raised.

"Well?"

"Well, what?"

"The experiment," he motioned to the rest of the class that had begun preparing their own tables, "Can you grab an Erlenmeyer flask and one of the stirrer things, please?"

You did as he said and watched as he began measuring out the different liquids and pouring them into containers.

"So, what are you doing?" You asked, trying to make things less awkward.

"Little bit a this, little bit a that, we should get some sort of reaction," he muttered. "I usually just wing it. Go off of what I already know."

"So you're smart?"

"Yeah, I guess," he shrugged. "You?"

"I guess."

He dumped a small amount of grey colored powder into a beaker filled halfway with a clear liquid and sat back, looking over at you.

"You have very pretty eyes," he said suddenly. "Er, sorry, that was weird."

You blushed and laughed slightly, "Thanks. That's very kind of you to say."

"Um, if you ever need anyone to like show you around the school or stuff like that, just let me know," he offered, scratching the back of his neck. "I'd be happy to help."

"I'd like that," you smiled. Your eyes traveled back to the lab desk and you gasped. "Peter!"

"Wha-? Oh fuck!" He yelled.

The beaker was smoking and overflowing with a thick black substance. Peter grabbed a pair of tongs and picked up the beaker, dumping it into the sink quickly. He threw the tongs down and cleared his throat, attempting to look like nothing has happened. You stood near the corner of the room, your eyes wide and hands over your mouth. The teacher walked over to your lab table and sighed.

"Again, Mr. Parker?"

"Sorry, sir," Peter grinned sheepishly. "That's what happens when you seat me next to pretty girls."