Pietro- Champagne

Inspired by the song 'Champagne' from In The Heights. Enjoy!

You knocked softly on the door of Pietro's apartment in the Avengers compound, your heart pounding in your chest. A large brown paper bag hung from your other hand. The bottle inside of it was covered in a layer of condensation, which had turned the bag damp and flimsy. The door swung open almost immediately after you knocked, Pietro standing there in the doorway. He looked surprised to see you.

"Y/N, hey."

"Hi."

"What are you doing here?"

You smiled softly and held up the bag. "I thought we should celebrate."

He opened the door wider and you stepped into the apartment. There were boxes everywhere.

"Wow," you said quietly. "You're really ready."

Pietro nodded and took the bag from you before walking into the kitchen.

"Well, my flight is early tomorrow."

You chewed your bottom lip as you followed him.

Pietro was moving back to Russia.

Tomorrow; for a few months, for a few years, forever, he hadn't decided yet. All he knew was that he was leaving the US for a long time.

Pietro had been contemplating moving for a while, and finally decided to really do it. Similarly, you'd decided to move out of the compound where you and the other Avengers had all lived for months and into your own place back in the city.

You wanted to be happy for Pietro, you really did. He was your best friend in the entire world, hell, sometimes he was more than that. Both of you pretended that the drunken kisses and confessions of romantic feelings that took place late at night on more than one occasion never happened, or insisted that it was just the vodka talking. But for you, it wasn't the vodka. Or the wine, or the beer, or the scotch, or any of the booze for that matter. But, of course, by the time you realized how you really felt about Pietro, he was moving to another continent.

"Champagne!" Pietro cried, pulling the sweaty bottle out of the bag. "Y/N, you shouldn't have."

You waved your hand at him. "It's no big deal."

He put the bottle down and started searching the cabinets.

"I think I've packed all the cups already. I might be able to find some plastic or paper ones or bowls or-"

"Or we could just drink from the bottle," You offered, grabbing it and ripping the gold stuff off.

You twisted the wire thing off and popped the cork out of the bottle. Both of you watched it fly across the room and bounce against a wall pathetically. You lifted the bottle to your lips and took a small sip, the bubbles making your nose itch slightly. Pietro took it from you and lifted it slightly.

"To new beginnings, eh?" He grinned and took a swig.

"I guess vodka would have been more fitting for the occasion," you smiled a little and took the bottle from his hands. "So, are you excited?"

"Yes. Let me tell you, Y/N, if it wasn't for you, I would've never had the balls to do this."

You looked down at the bottle, feeling word vomit beginning to crawl up your throat. Stay, please stay, don't leave me. I can't live if I don't see you every day. I can't live if you're not in the same state as me. I can't live if you're across an ocean and a continent. I need you. You tried to swallow it as hard as you could, but you quickly realized you wouldn't be able to keep it down.

"You should stay," you blurted out loudly.

Pietro furrowed his eyebrows together, looking almost amused. "What?"

"Our team is better with you, and you can't leave Wanda here and-"

"What are you talking about? Wanda is perfectly capable of taking care of herself."

"I'm just saying," you said harshly, "I think your little vacation can wait."

"Vacation?" He repeated. "Y/N, you're leaving too!"

"I'm moving to the city! You call a cab and you're there in less than an hour," you cried, stepping towards him as your voice grew louder. "You're leaving the country, and we're never going to see you again!"

"Come on, Y/N, you know-"

"I'm less than an hour away and you're going to be more that twelve! It's not even comparable. You, you-"

"What are you trying to say?"

"You let everyone get used to having you around for months then you decide to get up and go back to Russia!"

Pietro looked at you in disbelief. "You told me to do what I wanted!"

"Well, maybe I didn't realize what you wanted was to abandon me, Pietro!"

"Y/N, I don't understand why you're mad at me."

"I wish I was mad!"

Before you knew it, your hands were on his cheeks, and your lips were pressed against his. His hands plunged into your hair as he obliged the kiss, and you moved even closer to him. After several moments you flew off of him, flustered and confused. You gathered your composure quickly and looked back at his shocked face.

"I'm not mad," you whispered faintly. "I'm just too late."

Pietro began to speak, but before he could say anything further, you turned, and ran out the door.