Clint-Word Association

"What would happen if I tried shooting three arrows at once?"

"Clint, this is not the time."

"Like, would they just drop right in front of me?" Clint continued, examining his bow. "Or would they shoot like one normal arrow?"

You glared at him. "I have no idea."

He began to pick a handful of arrows out of his quiver, but you stopped him quickly.

"Clint, seriously, you're going to get us noticed," you hissed.

He scrunched up his face and groaned quietly. "But I'm BOOORRREEDD."

You smirked and turned away from Clint and back to the window. The two of you had been assigned to watch over a restaurant that was supposedly holding a Hydra meeting. You'd been planted in the abandoned building across the street for nine hours now, and there had been zero activity. Clint started to get antsy at hour four.

"I'm bored too, but we have to stay for at least another five hours," you sighed, glancing out the window again. "You'll have to find a way to entertain yourself."

"Well, I had something in mind but I was shut down ever so rudely," he grumbled.

"Barton!" You snapped.

"Sorry, Y/N. Wait, I have an idea!"

You looked over at him and rose an eyebrow.

"Let's play a game."

"What are we, eight?"

"Come on, it'll be fun. I'll give you a word, you say the first word that comes to your mind and I'll say the first word that comes into my mind, easy enough, right?" He asked hopefully. "Like word association!"

He moved over so he was sitting next to you under the window. His side pressed against yours, and you laughed slightly as he grinned at you.

"Ready?"

You rolled your eyes. "Clint-"

"I'll go first," he cut you off. "Hmmm, Steve."

After a moment's hesitation, you smirked over at him. "Bucky."

"Scary."

"Hulk."

"Smash."

"Building."

"Tower."

"Stark."

Clint's eyebrows knit together in concentration. "Aggressive."

"Me!" You cried, bursting into laughter.

"Love," he said, and his face paled instantly.

Your jaw dropped as you stopped laughing and Clint struggled to form a coherent sentence.

"Oh, fuck, I-I mean, I-I didn't mean that, I just, uhhhh," he sputtered.

You started to say something, but was cut off by the sound of your cell phone ringing. Keeping you eyes glued on Clint, you pulled it out and answered it, hitting speaker.

"Hey, Y/N, Clint," Natasha's voice came over the phone. "I hate to break it to you guys, but the location you guys are watching turned out to be a fluke. Steve and Tony found the operation we thought would be taking place there across town, so you guys are free to go."

You sighed heavily and leaned your head back against the wall. "Alright, thanks."

"Sorry for wasting your day."

"Don't worry about it," you said, your eyes flicking back to Clint's.

A smile crossed your lips and you put your hand on Clint's forearm. He grinned at you softly, and began moving towards you slowly.

"Hello?" Natasha interrupted your moment, and Clint pursed his lips together. "Did I lose you?"

"No, we're still here," you grinned. "And seriously, don't worry about it. Today wasn't a waste."