Steve- Christmas Eve

You stared out the window of Stark Tower somberly, holding a mug of tea  close to your chest. Behind you, everyone else was enjoying themselves at the Avengers Christmas Eve party, but you couldn't make yourself have fun. Steve had been on a mission with Sam for a few days now, and it wasn't looking like he'd make it back for Christmas. You sighed and looked at your phone again, hoping for a message from him. But, as you had expected, found nothing.

"Hey, Y/N."

You turned and smiled softly at Bucky, who had come and joined you at the window.

"Hi, Bucky."

"You wish Steve was here?"

You sighed again and nodded. "He promised he'd be back in time for Christmas Eve. Doesn't look like he'll be living up to that."

"I'm sure he wants to be here," he consoled me. "He loves Christmas."

"I know, I know. I just can't stop thinking about what could be happening to him."

"You know, when we were kids, I spent every Christmas with Steve's family. I always looked forward to it. There's nothing like a Rodger's family Christmas," he grinned to himself.

You sniffed and blinked back the tears that had sprung up in your eyes. "God, I just want him here."

"Oh, shit, Y/N, I didn't mean to make you cry. Hey, come on, bring it in."

He hugged you gently as you wiped your cheeks and thanked him quietly.

"I think I should go join everyone else. Try and take my mind off of him," you sighed.

He agreed with you, and the two of you walked over to the couches, where Tony had just put Christmas Vacation on. You sat and watched the whole thing, but never joined everyone else in the wall shaking laughter. You all sat around for hours, watching Christmas movie after Christmas movie, until it got to the point where everyone had fallen asleep.

Well past midnight, you heard a noise from somewhere, and shot awake. Everyone else was still fast asleep, and the end credits of It's A Wonderful Life were rolling on the massive television. You looked around the room for the source of the noise, but saw nothing.

"Y/N?"

You turned towards the elevator, and gasped when you saw Steve standing there, still in his uniform.

"You made it!" You cried, and sprinted across the room towards him.

You threw your arms around his neck and kissed him deeply as he smiled.

"I'm sorry I'm late," he muttered. "We ran into some...trouble."

"It doesn't matter you're late, you're here," you grinned and buried your face in his neck. "And in that uniform, so you're doing pretty well."

He laughed loudly and kissed your forehead lovingly. The rest of the team had woken up during the commotion, and called the two of you back over to the couches.

"Come on, let's do the old one present before Christmas morning!" Tony suggested.

You and Steve sat down where you had fallen asleep, and you cuddled into his side. Tony began handing presents out to everyone from under the tree, and tossed you a small, perfectly wrapped box.

To Y/N. Merry Christmas, darlin. I love you. Yours always, Steve. 

You smiled at him as you opened it, and he smirked knowingly. As you removed the box's lid, you gasped at what lay inside of it. You slowly removed the necklace, and marveled at the small pendant that hung from it, engraved with your first initial.

"Oh, Steve it's beautiful. I love it," you gushed. "And I love you too."

"Marry Christmas, Y/N." He kissed you softly.

"Merry Christmas, Steve."