Steve- Fight

"You are ridiculous! That happened six goddamn months ago! Let it go, Steve!" You yelled, glaring at Steve as he passed through the apartment.

"Oh, so you're allowed to bring up stuff I did six months ago, but the second I do it's like I insulted your mother, is that how this works now?" He snapped.

This had been going on for over ten minutes. You two had been dating for a while and hardly ever fought, but when you did, was it bad. And tonight was one of those nights. You don't remember what had set you off at him, but you were ranting and he was ranting and you were screaming and he was yelling. And somehow you'd gotten on the topic of something that happened months ago.

"Can you stop pacing, Jesus Christ!" You cried, pushing your hair back from your forehead. "I can't concentrate!"

"Oh what? Another fake accusation against me?" He stopped moving and turned to face you. "You're always trying to make me the bad guy!"

" I am not!"

"Yes you are! Not everything is about you, Y/N."

"That is bullshit," you fumed. "Why the hell would I pick a fight with you? What good does that do for me?"

"Well maybe you're just that desperate for attention!" He yelled.

Your jaw dropped as soon as the words left his mouth, and you could feel tears threatening to spill onto your cheeks. You turned on your heel and ran into your bedroom, slamming the door behind you. Hearing Steve's footsteps approaching, you quickly locked it.

"Y/N, come on! Don't be like this!" He said, knocking on the door.

You buried your face in your hands and leaned up against the door before slowly sliding down and sitting on the floor. "Leave me alone!" You cried.

"Y/N, please," he said softly after a moment. "I didn't mean it, I was mad."

Again, you didn't respond. Steve sighed slightly on the other side of the door before doing as you has said. You sat there on the floor helplessly, sobbing your eyes out and praying that you hadn't just ruined the best thing that had ever happened to you.

****

You woke up the next morning after a few scattered hours of sleep. Your eyes were red and puffy from crying, and your throat hurt every time you breathed. After several moments of debating, you walked over to the door and opened it slowly. You stepped into the hallway and almost tripped over a pillow and blanket lying there looking disheveled. You swallowed the lump in your throat and walked into the kitchen. Steve stood by the coffee maker, the strong aroma of the beverage filling the kitchen.

He turned as you entered and motioned to the machine. You nodded silently and leaned against the counter as he handed you a mug. The two of you stood there in silence, drinking coffee and avoiding eye contact. Finally after several minutes, you glanced over at him.

"You slept on the floor," you said quietly.

He nodded, "Yeah, yeah, I didn't know if you were going to need anything at all. I wanted to be there."

You could feel tears threatening to betray you yet again, and you stared at the ground while attempting to blink them away. "Thank you."

"Don't thank me," he muttered, coming closer to you. "It was the least I could do after being such an asshole."

You looked up at him and wiped your eyes quickly. "I'm sorry for everything I said last night. I was just mad. It's been a long few days."

"I'm sorry too," his hands were on your shoulders now. "I didn't mean any of it."

"Thank you for being so good to me," you smiled slightly as you tried still to not cry.

Steve wrapped his arms around you and brought you into his chest, "That's what you do for people you love. And I love you."

"I love you, too."

He tilted you chin up slightly, and brushed his lips against yours. You smiled and put your hands in his hair as you hugged him, taking in the familiar scent of his clothing. The two of you stood there for a very long time, making up for the night you had lost.