Jet Lagged

I pushed off my new comforter and slowly slid my way out of bed. Jet lag. It was the worst thing ever.

I hung precariously off the edge of my bed, staring at the floor. I really didn't want to get up.

"Ana?" I heard my dad call from the bottom of the stairs. I groaned in pure exhaustion and tucked a piece of my blonde hair behind my ear.

"Yeah Dad!?" I called back.

"Breakfast, sweetheart." he answered.

I groaned once more but slid on my slippers, walking towards the door. My second day here in L.A was about to begin. 

I bounced down the stairs lazily, making sure I didn't trip over my own two feet. I rounded the corner to the kitchen when I was startled.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" My dad screamed. I rolled my eyes.

"Thanks dad." I answered, quickly pecking him on the cheek and glancing at the cake he had in his hands.

It was a tradition. For every birthday for as long as I can remember, my dad and I would eat my birthday cake for breakfast. I watched as he cut me a piece.

"So, what are your plans today Anastasia?" he asked.

I thought carefully for a second. "I'm not really sure. Axl said he wanted to take me around town for my birthday, but I haven't heard from him since I've been here." I answered honestly.

Axl was my best friend. We grew up together in Indiana and lived one house down from each other. Our mothers were best friends, and being that they were so close, Axl and I didn't have a choice but to be friends. We went to school together at Jefferson High, and after graduation, I went to college. Axl, on the other hand, wanted to form a band. He always told me he didn't know where or when it would happen, but that when he found a band, they were going to be famous one day. Axl ended up here in L.A, where he did find a band. They've been living here for about two years now. They call themselves Guns N' Roses, and they just landed their first record deal a few months ago. 

When my mom died, I had no choice but to move here to L.A with my dad. I had no where else to go and I spent all the money I did have on schooling. When I told Axl I was coming to live with my dad, he was excited. He told me he'd show me around town and we could hang out, just like old times. 

My dad stopped chewing when he heard me mention Axl's name. Let's just say his reputation is less then stellar. 

"Use that common sense I know you have. Don't let him get you into trouble. Where do you plan on going?" my dad asked, pushing around the excess icing on his plate.

I chuckled, because my dad didn't know me well enough to realize that I made my own decisions.

 "I have no clue. He said he was going to show me around L.A. I'll be fine dad, I'm a big girl now." I reassured him.

He sighed.

"It's your birthday, Ana. Just be careful." he repeated.

I put my plate in the sink and planted a kiss on my dad's cheek. "Thanks for the cake Dad. Love you" I said.

I watched the faint grin form on his face as he tried to hide it. My dad was a manly man, and he hated showing any emotion but tough. 

"Love you too, Ana" he answered.

I don't know if it was the sugar high from the birthday cake or the fact that I was excited, but I bounded up the steps like a wild child. As soon as I hit the entry to my bedroom, I started to move. All of my stuff was still packed away in boxes, so I had to go searching for all of my things. I eventually found a sexy black dress and a pair of gold flats, since I was too tall to wear heels. I was pulling out some bracelets and gold stud earrings from the box labeled 'jewelry' when my bedroom door flung open violently.