Wrecked

Anastasia

"But wait! There's more!" Duff says as he pulls my hand. He's dragging me back up the pathway to our waiting rental car.

More? How could there be more then I've already gotten?

Duff tosses me the keys to the car. "Get in the drivers seat." he says.

"Okay." I answer, opening the door and sliding inside. I turn the key in the ignition, and the corvette roars to life. 

"Now. What if I told you that this car is yours." he says. 

I scoff. "Then I'd laugh and tell you you're a liar." 

He leans over the center console and kisses me on the cheek. 

"Happy engagement, Mrs. McKagan." 

He was kidding, right? He bought me a fucking corvette? 

"Your joking." I respond. 

"No, I'm not. Go look at the license plate." he says. 

I hop out of the car quickly, and sure enough, the license plate makes me laugh. The California plate reads 'AMcKagan' in big blue letters. 

I can see Duff watching me from the side view mirrors with a big grin on his face.

Holy fuck. He wasn't joking. 

"You bought me a Corvette?!" I nearly scream, running to the passengers side where he sits.

I pull open the door and climb into his lap, pinning him to the seat as I kiss him long and deep. 

"I love it, Duff. Thank you so much." I say, staring into his eyes. 

"You're welcome." he responds.

I feel his hand rub my back. 

"You gonna test it out or what?" he says, and I excitedly jump over the console and get into the drivers seat. 

I knew very little about cars, but what I did know was that a corvette could go fast. Very, very fast. 

I hit the gas slowly and the car lurches forward. 

On the way here I saw the on-ramp for the interstate, so I'd head there so I could test it out. I drive a few miles and finally see the ramp, so I take it and merge on quickly.

"It drives so nice." I smile and look over at Duff, who's still working on the bottle of champagne. 

"I know, I picked it out." he says. 

I shake my head. "I can't believe you bought me a fucking car."

"Only the best for you, baby." he says and I smile. 

"I love you." I tell him. 

"I love you, too" he responds. 

"Maybe we should get back to the hotel. I think that bed is lonely." I joke, shooting Duff a smile.

"You think so?" he asks. 

"I know so." I wink. 

I take the next exit off the interstate and follow the signs back to the city we were staying in. Ironically, it's called Hollywood. 

We're on the back road, and I know we'll be there soon. I wanted to see what this baby could do. 

I press the gas pedal to the floor and the car roars even louder. I brake carefully as we round a corner and take a deep breath. 

"This thing is fucking fast." I say looking to Duff as we take the next curve a little too fast.

I see a red van sway into my lane, causing me to jerk the wheel to the right.