Captivated

When I walk in the door, I notice the envelopes sitting at my feet. They are all addressed to me, and I recognize the handwriting as Duff's chicken scratch. I can't help but smile.

On the other side of the room, I see our answering machine blinking red with messages. I leave my luggage in the hall and rush over to the phone, hitting the play button on the answering machine.

My heart races as I await the sound of his voice. A beep sounds, and then...

"Hey, babe. It's me. Well, we landed here in Germany. I ran to the first payphone I found to call you, even though you won't get this 'til you get back from Tennessee. I miss you so much already. I hope your flight got in safely. It's pretty fucking boring here, so far. Nothing like the city, but I guess I can tell you about that when I write you. I love you, babe. Bye."

and another...

"Anastasia. It's Duff. I couldn't get to sleep because I was too busy thinking about you. I know there's no way you could possibly be home from Tennessee yet, but I called so I could hear your pretty voice on our answering machine. Miss you, babe."

There were tears in my eyes as I processed his voice. I wanted to listen to the messages over and over again, but then I remembered that he'd written to me, too.

I grab the letters in my hand and open them one by one, reading each of them carefully:

"Hey babe.

I just got off stage in Germany, and holy hell it was fucking amazing. We totally killed it and the fans fucking loved it. When you get back I have to tell you about it. I've been calling every day, but I guess you aren't back from Tennessee yet. I wish you were here, babe. I miss waking up next to you every morning.

I love you, Ana.

Duff "

Another:

"Anaaaaaa!

These shows are kicking ass! And guess what?  Geffen made a deal with MTV to play the Welcome to the Jungle music video. It's about time, right?  I love you and miss you sweet girl.

Duff"

and another,

"Hey baby,

We just touched down in Holland. This postcard is fucking ugly, and I know that, but it's the only one they had at this shitty gas station we stopped at. I'm thinking you'll be back from Tennessee soon, so I'll keep on calling.

Love you,

Duff"

The letters from Duff were bittersweet.

I was happy to hear from him and hear about how much fun he was having, but I still missed him so much.

He said he'd been calling, so I hoped he'd call tonight. In the meantime, might as well get unpacked and watch a little TV.

I flip the TV on to MTV and turn up the sound so I can hear it in my bedroom while I unpack.

I go over to my suitcase and start unpacking my clothes piece by piece. With a months worth of clothing in there, it was taking a lot longer then expected.

A good half hour went by without incident when a familiar beat caught my ear.

I scrambled into the living room and sat down in front of the TV just as Axl's voice started singing: