Absconded

Anastasia

I look straight ahead at the door, clutching the bouquet of flowers we've just purchased as if my life depended on it.

I don't think I've ever been this nervous in my life.

Duff had seven brothers and sisters who each had kids of their own. There was so many of them. How was I going to remember them all?

"Hey" Duff says, looking down at me and interrupting my thoughts. "Relax. You're fine." he says, snaking his hand around my waist. He pulls me in tighter against him and kisses me gently on the forehead.

I see someone move in the window and I take a deep breath.

"Here goes nothing." I say, for only Duff and I to hear. He chuckles in response, and almost as if on cue, the front door swings open.

There she stands in a red and white checkered apron. She has flour on her hands and is wiping them on the apron. Her hair is short and dark (nothing like Duff's natural hair color) but I can see the resemblance in their faces. She offers me a huge smile, and I'm a little bit more relieved.

To my surprise, she pulls me into a hug first, even before she hugs Duff.

"It's nice to meet you, Anastasia. Duff's told me a lot about you." she says with a smile.

She pulls Duff in for a hug next, and she has to stand on her tippy toes to reach him. "Michael." she regards him lovingly and kisses him on the cheek.

I have to hold back the laughter that threatens to unleash itself from within my very being.

I knew Duff's real name was Michael, but I never actually heard anyone call him that.

"Hi Mom." Duff answers back.

Mrs. McKagan steps aside and holds the door open. "Well come on, come inside! The food should be ready any minute. I made your favorite, Duff." she says with a wink.

"Oh great." Duff says, rolling his eyes. He gives my hand a little squeeze and I shoot him a smile.

Duff leads me into what I can only assume to be the living room. He sits down on the sofa first and tries to pull me onto his lap, but I take my own seat next to him.

"You're kidding me, right?" I say quietly for only him to hear. He apparently thinks this is funny, because he laughs hysterically. His arm finds its way to my shoulder and he pulls me in close.

I roll my eyes. Typical men, always trying to get some action, no matter where you are.

Duff's mom sits down on the couch across from us and fluffs the pillow that sits next to her.

"Where is everyone?" Duff asks.

"They'll be here. You're a little early." she says kindly.

"So how have you been sweetheart?" She asks Duff. I take notice that they share the same stunning green eyes.

"Busy. We just finished touring Canada. Tonight's our last show on this leg before we go back home." he says.

"And what are the boys up to today?" she wants to know.

"Probably still in bed." Duff chuckles and both his mom and I laugh.

"So, Anastasia. I have to tell you--" Duff's mom begins, and panic surges through me. What was she going to say?

She looks around as if to check and make sure no one else is listening.

"You're the first girl Duff's ever brought home." she says, and I look at Duff immediately. He's wearing a stupid grin on his face.