Chapter 49

Selena could feel beads of sweat form on her forehead as she furiously scrubbed the wooden panels of her porch's flooring. She had already successfully removed the stains, but the stench still lingered, albeit managing to lessen even just a bit.

It's been exactly seven stressful days for Selena since that fabricated article hit the web. During that agonizing week, the teenager found herself the victim of the 'egg throwing' assault three times. She had already reported the incident to the police and thankfully the culprits had been busted a night ago. Turns out, it was a group of girls that she didn't even know but as expectedly, were avid fans of the band.

Much to her gratitude Zoey had been adamant on coming back with her to help her clean the mess and repaint her wall after her first encounter with the mishap, even if she was keen to refuse her best friend's offer. Though the nasty word on her wall had not returned since its first appearance, she was still utterly exhausted; emotionally, physically and mentally. Her only source of solace was the unyielding support that was showered by her family and friends. Even the boys, including Zayn remained steadfast to her.

All, except one.

Her boyfriend.

She knew it wasn't Harry, but his stress that was talking to her during their phone conversation a week ago. But it didn't make it any less painful. It felt like she was the punching bag and his words were his fisted blows.

She had given him an ultimatum in her tearstained state. Now the ball was in his court and he was yet to give her a reply and for Selena nothing was more agonizing than to find herself waiting for it. Even the piling hate in her twitter could not come close in comparison. She did not know if he was aware of the harassment she has been receiving in just the span of a week and honestly she just didn't have the strength to ask that anymore; because she didn't know if there would still be any medicine to heal her if she found out that he had been purposely ignoring her in her Godforsaken state.

Selena gave out a sigh of relief as she stood up after finally being able to remove all remnants of stink which was now replaced by the pungent scent of her lavender cleanser. It was too strong for her liking since she did use quite an excessive amount, not to mention for the third time in just one week. But it was unquestionably much better than the reek of slimy eggs.

Her arms were shaking as she removed the gloves she was wearing and gathered her cleaning materials then went inside her house. Even if she was yet to return the items on their rightful places, Selena found herself walking towards the table in the middle of her living room after closing the door. Despite willing herself not to, it was like her feet had a mind of its own as they carried her to the spot where her phone was laying idly. After picking it up and inspecting it, Selena did not even fight the tears that she had been keeping at bay since day one as the blank screen stared at her with equal emptiness.

Slumping down on the sofa, she let out a sob as their conversation replayed in her mind for the millionth time.

(o)

"We need to talk"

"H-Harry please let me explain" Selena replied, hating how her voice stuttered, making her sound guilty. She can't help it. It was the first time she heard and received such an acerbic tone from him and she'd be lying if she said that she wasn't scared.

"You told me your class just fucking ended Selena and I see you talking to him! That fucker of all people!"

Selena winced, taking a breath to coordinate her thoughts and strengthen her resolve in any way "I know and I'm sorry. I-I just thought it might be better to discuss it over a phone call than a text. I didn't know he was going to be there. I don't even know how he found me Harry, I promise."