Chapter Twenty-One

Daniella

Suddenly, as the violent attack continues, a flash of a person runs through my vision.

He lifts the man away from me and punches him in the face, viciously trying to fight him off. I fall to my knees, not being able to hold myself up. While the blurry man fights one of the men, the other man drags me along the pavement, trying to make a great escape.

I feel the shards of glass cut open my back as I am dragged. Small rocks and pebbles cause me to scream out in pain, finding I have no voice left to use. I open my mouth again but find I am only able to make a squeak of a sound.

I try to pull my hands out of his grip and fight to get away from him. I manage to pull one hand out of the belt but he still is able to hold on to both of my hands in his one. Why are they so big and strong? Why am I so small and weak?

I have no strength left to fight him for real.

Moments later, I am dropped to the ground, and the second man is slammed in to the wall numerous times. The man who came to my rescue, bashing his head in to the brick over and over.

I flip myself onto my stomach and drag myself out towards the street with every ounce of strength I have left in my body.

I try to keep my eyes open to watch but they close against my will. How will I make an escape if I can not even keep my eyes open for a second?

The pain is too overwhelming I can still feel his disgusting fingernails pressing deep into my sides, my thighs are probably covered in half-moon shaped marks.

Swallowing is painful and it hurts to breathe. In my chest and in my throat, I can feel myself wheezing for air. I can hardly breathe.

This is such a traumatic situation. Why did this have to happen to me? I haven't done anything bad in my life to deserve it.

I was just in the wrong place at the wrong time I guess.

They thought I was an easy victim.

Silence overtakes my head as I suddenly realize no one is grunting or shouting at each other anymore. Where did everyone go? Have they just left me here to die? All of them?

Moments go by with no sounds.

I wonder about my parents. About my sister. How are they doing? Are they even alive? I wonder if they miss me? If they would even care that I died? I wonder if they would want to know what happened to me? If they would feel guilty for sending me off like they did? If they would blame my death on them?

Probably not.

A soft touch on my arm sends chills up my spine. "No no no. Please no." I squeak as I push him away. I just want them to let me die at this point. I have nothing else to live for.

I have no family. No friends. No life. I do not want to suffer anymore tonight. Just leave me.

He grabs on to me and lifts me against my will, like a mother would hold her new born baby. "Shh. It is okay." He whispers as he begins walking.

I relax my muscles. I do not even have to open my eyes to know that I am safe now. I reach my hands up and wrap them around his neck to ensure he does not drop me. Though I would not imagine he would. He just fought those two violent men off with nothing but his hands. I am sure he is more than capable of lifting a girl.

He slows down his speed and wrestles with me in his arms. I groan from pain as he moves me in different directions.

"It is okay. You are safe now. Nothing bad is going to happen to you."  He reassures me, the tone of his voice being enough to calm me.

Tears continue to flood my eyes. I sob in his arms as he tries to get me to lay down in the car. I can feel the cold leather against my bare back, the shards of glass pushing deeper into my skin.

He came for me. He came to rescue me. He saved my life. I owe him more than a thank you. I owe him my everything. Everything I have, is his. He deserves so much more than that. But, unfortunately, that is all I have. Nothing in this world could ever be enough to repay him.

I curl up on the seats and cover my face with my arm. A soft fabric is laid over my body, instantly making me feel warm and cared for.

"It is going to be okay, Daniella. I promise."