Chapter Forty- Seven

Daniella

I sit up in bed and take a mental note at the lack of Michael.

I know it's my bedroom but I half expected him to want to sleep in here last night. Especially after what I did to him. I thought he might have wanted to come in here and talk at least, but he didn't.

I guess I really hurt him.

"Why didn't I say it back?" I ask myself out loud. "Why didn't I just say it back?"

Is it because I don't love him and I didn't want to lie to him by saying I did? Is it because I'm scared? Because I know this isn't right?

A knock on my door forces my thoughts away from my questions.  A smile forces it's way on to my lips. Maybe it is Michael. Maybe I can explain myself to him.

Oh. My face drops. It's only Luke.

"Well, nothing says good morning like a disappointed look." He laughs.

"Sorry." I mumble.

"What's wrong, Daniella?" He asks, concerned. He walks over and sits beside me on the side of the bed.

"Nothing. I'm just thinking about things." I rest my chin in my hand.

"What kinda of things?" He asks, copying my position.

"Last night, mostly." I shrug.

"That is all over now Daniella. Our lawyer went over late last night to make sure the deal was solid. He really dropped all the charges. It's over." Luke assures me that this is the last we will hear from those officers.

"No, it's not that." I admit. "Something else."

"Then what is it?" He asks, wondering what else could be on my mind.

"After Michael got out, he found me at the club and took me outside." I start.

"That is our fault. We told him where you were." He sits up straight. "We didn't expect him to freak out the way he did."

"No, no. I appreciate that. I'm not mad at you at all for that. It's just- after he took me outside and we were walking to the car he-" I stop. Something deep inside me feels guilty for wanting to tell Luke. Is it wrong to let him know what Michael said?

"He what?" He asks, his voice filling up with concern. "Did something happen? Did he do something to you?" He asks, trying to get to the bottom of it.

"He told me he loves me."

"Wow. Oh- wow." Luke sighs, relief filling his body to take over the places where his concern just was.

"And at first all I could do was stare at him. After a while I said 'I like you a lot, Michael.' Like, how could I be so stupid?" I groan and bury my face in my hands.

"Well, do yo-"

"Do I? I don't know. This is too much!" I pull at my hair, wishing to pull it all out.

"Tell him that." Luke nudges my arm with his elbow.

I sit up and stare at him. "I can't tell him that, are you crazy?!"

"Maybe just a little." He smirks, earning a laugh from me.

Why do all of these boys know exactly what to say to make a situation better? They can't be real.

"He deserves at least an explanation. He almost went to prison just so you wouldn't have to speak about what happened to you. He deserves at least that much." He places his hand on my back.

I nod. "You are right, Luke." I have to at least try to explain myself to Michael.

"Okay." He stands and walks towards the door. "Breakfast is downstairs when you want it."