Chapter Thirty- One

Daniella

The front door opens behind me. I turn to look ever my shoulder and see Michael walking towards me.

I thought I would have some more alone time than this.

I stand to greet him. He seems like he has something on his mind. Something important. The look on his face is very telling. " Thank goodness, Daniella. I didn't know where you were!" Michael pulls me in for a hug as I stand on the grassy lawn.

"I just wanted to get some air. I didn't think it would be a problem. I am right on the front lawn. It's not like I was hiding." I explain.

"Why were you out here anyways?" He asks, worry plastered on his face.

"I needed to think. Clear my head. It's too stuffy in there. I can't think when I am being watched every second. I just needed some time to myself." I explain, hoping he doesn't ask what I was thinking about.

Leaving. I was thinking about leaving. And I have made my decision. I have figured out what is best for me. Me and no one else.

"I was worried about you. I couldn't find you. I didn't know where you were." Michael rubs his hands on my shoulders, dropping his guard.

"I'm sorry. I didn't realize my absence would be such a big deal." I say, prepping him for what I am about to tell him.

"Of course it is a big deal, Daniella. You mean so much to me." He smiles softly, his eyes persuading me to stay. "Don't ever do that to me again."

Great. Just great.

"Michael." I clear my throat, afraid to say this out loud. I have to do what is best for me. But I don't want to hurt anyone in the process.

"Yeah?" He asks, pulling away from me, examining the look on my face. The reaction on his face tells me he probably knows what I am going to say next. He knows I don't want to be here anymore. He knows.

"I want to go home, Michael. I don't want to do this anymore." Tears flood down my cheeks despite my strongest efforts to hold them back.

"Daniella, you can't." He argues.

"I have changed so much since I have been here. So much has happened. I'm just not where I wanted to be at this point in my life." I wipe the tears off of my face. The effort was pointless on my part, seen as more just come rolling right in after the ones I wipe away.

"Daniella, you can't leave." Michael shakes his head. "You just can't." He wipes a tear from my cheek. "Think about all the things I can give you. I could give you the world and more. If you would just let me."

"It's not about that, Michael. I don't want stuff." I laugh softly. "I am not here for the stuff you or anyone else can give me."

"Well- well- it's your job. You can't leave." Michael stutters, looking for something to argue with.

I shake my head. "Michael, this is so much more than a job now. Feelings are involved now."

"I know that. Believe me, I know that." Michael places his hand on my arm.

"But I can't risk my life for what ultimately comes down to a job. This is a job whether we chose to treat it like one or not. The money is just not worth the risk." I remind him of our arrangements.

"Daniella please. I can protect you! Things will be different! I promise! I'll be better! I'll get better." He begs.

"This isn't about your actions, Michael. It's about my safety. And when I'm not with you, I don't feel safe anymore." I admit.

"I- I make you feel safe?" He asks, hushing is tone to almost a whisper. I nod in response. "Then we can hire more security for you. They would follow you all the time when I am not around. There are a ton of things we can do to make you feel safe again."

I shake my head. "And what kind of life is that Michael? Being followed every moment for the rest of my life? That would be a horrible life to live." Michael nods, seeing my point.

"Just please stay. It's over now. I can protect you. I won't be happy if you leave. And you will regret leaving us like this." I nod. He is right.

He pulls me in for a hug and holds me tightly.