Chapter Eighty

Daniella

I sit up out of bed and stare at the sunlight outside my window. I rush out of bed and in to the bathroom to evacuate my stomach yet again. This is terrible.

"Daniella, you should go to the doctor. This is three days in a row now." Michael says as he walks in to the doorway.

I nod. "I'll call someone." I wipe my mouth with a tissue and throw it in the toilet before flushing everything away. "I'll be down in a minute." I walk back in to my room and smile upon finding it is empty. I am finally alone.

Michael has not left my side since I first got sick. I love him, don't get me wrong. But it was hard with him wrapped around me constantly for the last three days.

I find my phone in the mess of blankets and find it has died. I groan and plug it in.

When it finally has enough charge to turn back on, I quickly google my symptoms. Nausea, frequent vomiting, headaches, worst in the morning when I first get out of bed.

It is probably not the smartest idea to google my symptoms but I really don't want to have to go to the doctors if they are just going to tell me to rest and continue doing what I am doing.

My eyes widen. Pregnant? These are common symptoms of pregnancy?

Should I get a pregnancy test? It is not possible I am pregnant. Besides a few night ago, Michael and I haven't done anything physical together in weeks. There is no way.

I unplug my phone and grab my wallet from my bag. I have to go get a test. I have to get a pregnancy test.

I grab a baseball cap from the closed to conceal my face. I can't have photos of me getting a pregnancy test getting out there on the internet. I don't want anyone to know before I even have the chance to know.

I run down the stairs and grab a set of keys. I'm sure they won't mind if I borrow their car for a little while. I am just running to the store up the street. I won't be gone long.

I pull out of the driveway and speed down the street. My hand grip the steering wheel tight as I make the turn in to the parking lot. For my sanity, I hope the internet is wrong about this. I drive quickly to the drugstore down the street.

I grab a tiny box off the shelf and shake my head. This is not real right now. This is not real. I place the box on the counter for the cashier and hand him a bill. "Keep the change." I say as I grab the box and rush back to the car.

As I turn the car on, I try to keep myself together. My brain is thinking a thousand different things right now.

I pull back in to the driveway and park the car. Michael is on the porch with his arms crossed over his chest.

I can't talk to him about this right now. I shove the box up my shirt and walk up to him.

"Where did you go?" He asks, suspicious.

"To get what the doctor told me to get." I say as I run past him and up the stairs before locking myself in my bathroom. "Doctor google." I mumble.

I open up the box and pull three tests out. One to see if I am pregnant. Two to make sure. And three to confirm the first two are correct.

Here goes nothing.

I follow all of the directions and set the tests on the counter on top of a towel after finishing all of the steps.

Now I just have to wait.

I pace the floor and bite my fingernails waiting for the tests to beep.

The first test beeps.

I rush over to the counter and stare at the two lines forming a plus on the screen. Seconds later, the second and third tests beep, both with the same image on their screens.

I shake my head. "No. No no."

I take a deep breath. How am I going to tell Michael?

Someone knocks at the door. I jump and hide the tests behind my back as I jump up on the counter and sit on top of it. "Come in." I say, wiping away a tear rolling down my cheek.

"Michael we need to talk." I say as he walks in.

"I know." Michael smiles as he kisses my forehead. "I know Daniella."

Another tear rolls down my cheek. I wipe it away and smile. "Michael. I'm-"

"Daniella, I know you are pregnant." Michael blurts out before I can even tell him.

"H-how?" I ask. How did he know if I haven't told anyone yet? Especially because I only just found out myself.

"You've been throwing up for the past few days, only in the mornings. It's not flu season. The dizziness was the beginning of morning sickness, Daniella." Michael explains himself. "I told you I would figure out what was going on with you." Michael smiles. "All it took was a little bit of googling for me to put all of the pieces together."

I wrap my arms and legs around him as he lifts me off the counter and spins me in a circle.

"Let me see." He sets me down and looks at the three tests I took. "Daniella, you are going to have a baby. We are going to have a baby!" Michael shouts, grabbing me and smiling bigger than I have ever seen him smile before.