Chapter Forty- Six

Michael

"I like you a lot, Michael." Daniella looks up and smiles softly at me.

"That's not exactly what I said." I shake my head.

"Sorry! What? I can't hear you over the music!" It's so loud!" She shouts, stepping away from me and covering her ears.

"What music? We aren't even near the club." I sigh and nod slowly, realizing that the music was just a cover up for not saying it back. She is just pretending like she can't hear me so she has an excuse to respond like that.

I can take a hint. She doesn't love me back. That is why she feels the need to distract me. It's not like it took everything inside me to say that or anything. It's no big deal.

But to get an 'I like you'? That's a big deal to me. I don't think I can even pretend like I don't care about that. And I am the king of not caring.

That just shows she isn't even close to feeling how I feel.

"You know what?" I slap my hands against the brick building, wanting to bash my head in to it so that I can forget everything. "Why don't I just take you home already. It's been a long day."

Daniella nods. "I think that's a wonderful idea."

***

Daniella peels her shoes off and runs inside the house. I turn the car off and slam my head against the top of the wheel.

Does she really not love me back? After all we have been through- she doesn't feel the same way I do? How can that even be possible at this point?

I know Daniella has some reservations about this whole thing but, c'mon, really?!

Her words are going to eat away at me for the rest of the time we are together. That might seem a bit dramatic, but that is the only way to describe how deeply hurt I am by them. Those are not the words I wanted to hear her say just then.

I walk inside, wondering if she will disappear in to her bedroom or if she will want to stay up and chat about today's events.

She will most likely retreat in to the safety of her bedroom and hide away until the morning, at least.

I stare at the boys as they stare back at me.

"We made dinner. We weren't sure if you would be hungry or not." Luke points to a plate on the counter.

I walk over and snatch it in to my arms. "Don't bother me." I mumble as I shove food in my mouth and trudge up the stairs.

AN: please don't forget to vote and comment!