Chapter Twenty-Nine

Daniella

I open my eyes due to the bright sunlight in my face coming from the window beside me and instantly feel the warmth of Michael around me. He must have fallen asleep holding me in his arms after the nightmare.

I remember last night

I remember last night. I wish I didn't. The images in my head were horrible. That was no normal nightmare. I was actually scared for my life. I wonder if that was my brains way of helping me to remember. Was that actually how the attack went? Or was my subconscious mind trying to figure out the rest of the puzzle by filling random pieces in the blank spots?

I peel myself away from him slowly and try to sit myself up without waking him. I put him through enough last night. The last thing he needs is to be woken up by me after getting hardly any sleep in the first place.

I slide my legs over the bed and unfold my knees until my feet are touching the ground. I turn and look over my shoulder to watch Michael sleep. He looks so peaceful. I wish I could be at peace of mind like he is.

Maybe I can just force my brain to move on. I can just tell myself I am fine and move on with my life. I can get back to my job here and then move on with my life and get a career I can enjoy and be completely safe in. So I can start a family with someone I love.

That would be great.

I stand off the bed and walk over to my closet to find my robe. Searching through the clothes that I actually took the time to hang up, I finally find the article of clothing I was looking for.

I place it on me and wrap the tie around my stomach to keep it secured on my body.

I need to get out of here. My mind is too clouded in this environment.

I tip-toe over to my bedroom door and turn the knob slowly, hoping to not wake Michael or anyone else up in the process. Successfully opening the door and closing it silently behind me, I continue my escape by walking down the hall and down the large flight of stairs.

Once I finally reach the downstairs hallway, I carefully slide my feet across the tile over to the heavy, metal front door. I turn the knob and find it stops with a click, about half way before it should.

Crap, it's locked.

I turn the knob back and silently hope it does not escape my grip and jolt back to its position and wake everyone up. I turn the deadbolt that keeps the door locked and listen to it click quietly, telling me I have successfully unlocked the door.

I lower my hand on to the knob and repeat my attempt at opening the door, this time, succeeding as it pops open. However, once I pull the door open the tiniest bit, the hinges on the door release this hideous and loud creaking noise that echoes though the house.

Crap!

I stand in my spot, not daring to make another move. After a few moments of listening, I have determined that the sound the door made has not woken anyone up. And if it has, they immediately went back to bed and ignored it.

I slip through the tiny opening and close the door behind me, again hoping my plans will not be foiled at this very moment because of a loud door. I got this far, at least let me finish getting outside before someone catches me.

I smile to myself after the door shuts and turn to walk down the lawn, my bare toes sliding though the wet grass as I walk towards the sidewalk.