Chapter Sixty- Four

Daniella

The driver of the car pulls over at the airport and takes my bag out of the trunk. He hands it to me and nods as I hand him a twenty I had in my bra as a tip.

I roll my bag along and enter the large building, relieved that I can finally get out of here and breathe again.

I find a kiosk and punch my information in. Staring at the screen, I think of what I am really doing here. Is it worth it to just leave? Should I really pack up and leave everything I have here over one silly fight? I am sure there is a reasonable explanation for all of this.

Yet, leaving still feels like the right thing for me to do.

I quickly buy the ticket and race to find my flight. The one I chose will be leaving very soon and I do not want to miss the flight and have to wait here in this terribly busy airport.

My phone buzzes in my hand. I know exactly who is calling me and yet, I lift the screen to my face anyways. I'm the split second I stare at my phone, I slam myself into an unsuspecting woman.

She and I both drop our things and bend down to pick them up quickly. "I'm so sorry! I wasn't paying-" I lift my head to hand her the bag she dropped when I slammed in to her and am rendered speechless when I look in to her eyes. "A-Abby?"

"You're looking," she looks me up and down as we both stand with our things. "Better. You look good."

"Uh- so do you." I say with a forced smile. "I guess." I whisper.

"What are you doing here?" She asks, pulling her hat down to cover her face while she looks around. "Is everyone else here too? Luke?"

I shake my head. "I'm solo today." I speak before I can think. If she knows I am alone, will she stop being so polite?

She nods and smiles. "Good." She sighs. "Listen- I um," she searches for words.

"Don't." I hold my hand up. "There's nothing you can say that will change anything that happened. Just- just leave Luke alone." I nod. "But thank you for trying. I have a flight to catch."

I leave her standing there, confused as I race to catch my plane before it takes off.

The last person boards the flight and the staff calls out for anyone else who may need to board this flight. I walk up to the desk, my ticket in my hand, ready to go.

I stare ahead of me at the long, dim terminal.

Authors note: what do you think of Daniella's decision to leave?