Chapter Sixty- One

Daniella

I slump down in to my seat and try to avoid eye contact with everyone. The host is speaking. We inadvertently interrupted his speech by walking in late. Michael sits down next to me and places his hand on my thigh. I place my hand on top of his, liking the feeling of having him touch me.

I am so excited for tonight. This is my first real awards ceremony. Well, the first one where I am wearing actual clothes. The other ones have been fashion shows. But they were anything but fun for me. Posing for perverted men for an entire day? Not my idea of a fun night out.

But this? This is great.

I get to be here for Michael and the boys. No one was there for me like I am for them. I like being someone to fall back on. I think everyone deserves someone to do that for them. I regret never getting close enough to any of the other models. I never had that safety cushion that I feel I am giving the boys now.

But now, they are my cushion and I am theirs. We all have each others backs. I feel safe.

I feel like they are actually my friends.

"Now let's get down to giving some awards out, shall we?" The announcer asks. The crowd responds in a eruption of shouting and applause.

"Okay then." He laughs. "The nominees for best album are" the announcer looks up at the screen behind him. "Selena Gomez~ Rare, Five Second of Summer~ Youngblood, Taylor Swift~ Lover, and Harry styles~Fine Line." I close my eyes and silently hope they win. They have to win. They work so hard. "And the winner is-" the announcer opens the envelope and smiles, reading the name to himself before shouting "Five Seconds of Summer, Youngblood!"

I jump up, pulling Michael up with me. I grab his waist and squeeze him tight, he rests his head on top of mine. He did it. They did it. I can't believe it. They have worked their way back in to the public's heart and they won.

I pull away and push him towards the boys. He needs to celebrate with them.

Michael turns and looks back at me, silently saying "kill me." I point and smile as he turns back and throws his arms around them.

The four of them break apart and begin walking up to the stage to receive their award.

I clap as loud as I can, never wanting this moment to end for them. This is what they have worked so hard for. I am so proud of them. I sit and fix my dress. I can't wait to hear what they say. This will be the first time I will be hearing them talk to their fans. What an incredible opportunity.

I bet the world is moving in slow motion for them. They will remember this moment for the rest of their lives.

Luke grabs the award and then walks straight to the microphone. "Wow-" he stops and looks down at the award. "Obviously we would never be here without the fans." He looks back at the other boys. Michael stands distant from the three of them. "And recently, we've had some extra help back at home and we really appreciate every second of her help."

The crowd goes wild.

"So thanks again." Luke holds the award up in the air. "All the love!"

The crowd stands and claps as they make their trip to backstage. Watching Michael interact- or not interact- with the boys on stage makes me see just how much work is left to be done with him and the others.

I smile to myself, despite the disappointment in Michael for not acting more like a friend to them on the stage. I know he loves them. Why will he just not allow himself to show it?

Tonight is going to be a good night for them. I can feel it.