Chapter 30 - Trust

*2 weeks later*

It's been two weeks since my father died. We'd already had his wake and funeral so now he's finally resting in peace. It was hard for me, but I'm learning to move on. Harry has been there 24/7 through this tough time period, and I couldn't be more thankful for him. Fans have also been very supportive which was wonderful. Now I sit alone in our living room, thinking. It was late morning and Harry was at another meeting. The iTunes Festival is tonight which should be fun. I'd called Kat earlier and invited her over because I wanted to talk to her about something important. We learned that the fire seemed to have been an intentional arsenal from evidence left behind and I could only think of one person.

John.

The note was also a good clue. I know that it's a bad thing to keep secrets but I'm afraid of the harm that'll come to Harry if he puts himself in danger after seeing the letters. I also got another note today which made me think.

You know, your friends can easily be spared if you come with me. It's that easy, and we can be together again like old times. - J

The doorbell rang indicating that Kat was here and I let her in.

We both sat on the couch, "So, what did you want to tell me?"

I paused and took a deep breath, "Well, you know how the fire was an intentional arsenal."

Her face softened and she nodded, "Yea."

"Well, I think John did it."

She sighed and thought about it for a moment, "Well Sam, you could be right but we can't make assumptions. What if it wasn't him?"

"That's the thing, I've been getting these notes that I think are from him. Here's one from the day of the fire." I told her handing it to her.

She read it and her eyes almost jumped out of her sockets, "Have you told Harry?!"

"No, please don't tell him!" I begged.

"Sam! This could be vital! Where have you been hiding these?!" She groaned.

"In my nightstand drawer and I know but I don't want to put any of you in anymore danger than you already are! Look at this!" I handed her the other note and her mouth flew open.

"You aren't actually going to do that are you?" She questioned quietly.

I didn't answer and looked away, knowing that my answer would be negative.

"Sam?" She whispered, her voice cracking.

I shook my head and tears threatened to fall, "He killed my father, Kat, who knows who he'll kill next."

She stayed silent, hurt showing on her face.

"Please, Kat, I love you guys and I don't want you to get hurt." I told her.

"REALLY? YOU LOVE HARRY ENOUGH TO JUST LEAVE WITHOUT TELLING HIM? DO YOU KNOW HOW HEARTBROKEN HE WOULD BE? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH IT'LL KILL ME IF I HAVE TO BURY MY BEST FRIEND?!" She cried.

"You don't understand, it's to protect you guys!"

"PROTECT US?! SAM THE POLICE ARE LOOKING FOR HIM WE ARE GOING TO BE FINE!"

"WELL HAVE THE POLICE FOUND HIM? NO!" I shouted frustratedly.

"THIS IS SO SELFISH SAM, SO SELFISH!" She spat.

"I'M NOT THE ONE BEING SELFISH, YOU ARE. I'M DOING THIS FOR YOU!"

"NO, YOU'RE DOING THIS BECAUSE YOU'RE AFRAID JUST LIKE YOUR FATHER!" She yelled and I felt my heart break. How could she say that? We both stood up at the same time.