#40

You were in your English class, finishing up your unit on Shakespeare. It was an enjoyable unit; besides the fact that you had to read aloud. You hated any kind of attention on you and usually got asked to speak up when you read.
"Alright class," your teacher was saying. "Our unit has come to an end. For our final assignment, I'm going to give each of you a scene from one of Shakespeare's plays. You'll need to come up with a skit to perform in front of the class."
Everyone was groaning but you were panicking internally. You hated group assignments and you hated being in front of the class even more. You hoped you at least had a nice partner.
Your teacher was listing off names and then, finally, "..Y/N and Zayn, the balcony scene.."
Your teacher continued talking but you looked over at the boy to your left. You had always thought he was cute. He got made fun of sometimes by the other boys for his weight, but you liked that he wasn't stick thin.
He gave you a small smile. "Guess we're partners."
"Yeah, I guess so," you mumbled, sitting back in your seat.
The two of you had put your desks together to talk about the scene. You both had a copy of the book with you so you turned the pages and read over your lines.
"This is so embarrassing," you complained. "Why do we even have to do this? The other class is just watching a movie."
"You'll be fine," he assured you, looking up from his book to offer you a smile. "You're doing good so far."
"I hate being in front of people. I get so nervous and I feel like I'm going to do something stupid," you admit and he shook his head.
"No way. From what I've seen, you're pretty brilliant, Y/N." He cleared his throat, his cheeks turning a little red, and he looked back down at his book. "Let's get back to our reading."
You smiled and nodded, continuing to read lines with him. You'd be lying if you said your cheeks weren't red too.
When the bell rang, he left in a hurry. You lingered a bit, since you still had to collect your things. You noticed a black notebook under Zayn's desk. You'd seen him scribbling in it before and you figured he must have left it.
Curiosity got the better of you and you opened it. The first couple of drawings were of comic book characters and robots, but then you came across a certain drawing. It was a girl, and it looked an awful lot like you.
You shoved it into your backpack and hurried to your next class.

The next day, you were anxious. You had to see Zayn and give him back his notebook. You also wanted to know why he was drawing you. Did he like you? Your cheeks heated up.
In class, you were both quietly reading your lines together. The atmosphere was awkward and it didn't help that your lines were romantic. Finally, you just pulled the notebook out of your bag.
"I was looking for that everywhere," Zayn began, until he noted the flustered look on your face. Slowly he asked, "did you..look in it?"
"Yeah," you admitted, handing it over. "I didn't mean to but I did. Why did you draw me?"
"I can't lie..I really like you, Y/N," he whispered, looking down. "I have since we had that class together last year. I know I'm not popular, and kind of chubby, but.."
You put your hand on his knee, stopping him, and you whispered, "I like you too."
He smiled. "Really?"
"Yeah. I have since we had that class too," you admitted, and took your hands in his.
"Will you be my girlfriend?" He asked and you nodded.
"I'd love to." He surprised you by leaning in and giving you a kiss.
The class oohed and you remembered where you were at, making you blush.
"We were just practicing our scene," you said hastily and he chuckled.
You both grabbed your books, stealing glances at each other and smiling. "Alright, let's take it from the top.."