31: Go To Gay Pride With My BF

I felt the need to make them go to Gay Pride, just for them to show that homophobic asshole who's boss😏

It all felt like slow motion. Sam sprinted after the doctors as they rushed Dean and Cas, on separate gurneys into operating rooms. The wing doors swung shut in front of him, and he skidded to a stop, watching through the windows in the doors.

"Hey." Emma's voice came from beside him. He jumped, glancing over. Emma and Lucifer were leaning against the wall next to him, Emma biting her nails and Lucifer tapping his fingers nervously against the surface of the shelf he was resting his arm on.

"Waiting room?" Sam suggested. They both nodded, shoving off from the wall and following him down the corridor.

Hours later, and the doctors came to inform Sam that Gabe was stabilised and ready for him to see him. He looked down at Emma and Lucifer, who nodded at him again.

"Go on. We'll stay here and wait for Michael." Emma reassured him.

"Say hi to Gabe for us." Lucifer said quietly. Sam muttered a soft, "Yeah, of course, good luck," and headed down the corridor after the doctors.

When he saw Gabe, his heart panged. He was lying in a hospital bed, face pale and arms limp, eyes closed. His chest rose up and down with even breaths, and Sam sat down in the chair beside Gabe, gently taking his hand, rubbing his thumb over the soft, warm skin. He gazed at Gabe's face, trying to ignore the prominent bulge in his mouth where his jaw brace was.

His eyes started to flutter. Sam leaned forward hopefully, tightening his grip on Gabe's hand. Gabe's eyes opened slowly, and they landed on Sam. He made a strangled noise, and Sam got up, leaning over him.

"Babe, babe - don't try to speak. You broke your jaw when you fell, you've got a brace on now to fix it."

Gabe stared up at Sam, an expression of mild confusion on his face as he continued to make muffled sounds. Sam stared down at him.

"Gabe - Gabe, stop that."

Gabe didn't stop, making more and more agitated sounds.

A doctor came in just then, "Is something bothering him? Is he in pain?"

Sam looked at him, then at Gabe. "No - I think - I don't think he can hear us."

The doctor looked at Sam, nodding thoughtfully. "You might be right. Mr Novak - can you hear me? Nod if you can hear me."

Gabe continued to make confused mmufphs, but he didn't nod.

The doctor glanced at Sam. "Okay, it can be easily rectified in surgery. Let's just let him know what's going on, shall we..."

He left the room and came back a minute later with a small whiteboard and a marker. He wrote out, 'Mr Novak, you seem to be temporarily deaf in both ears and you have a broken jaw. There is a brace in your mouth at the minute to heal it. The wound in your chest is healing quite fine, and your lungs should be fine in a few weeks.'

The doctor showed the board to Gabe, then looked up at Sam. He cleared his throat. "Erm... I have bad news."

What now? Sam thought desperately. What could possibly go wrong now?