Late Night

Angelica sat alone at her windowsill, her legs curled up, as she watched the falling snow outside. Seemingly, her mind kept wandering and she tried to think of other things, but she couldn't get one person off her mind.

Alexander. Even though he was married to her sister, there was something about him that still has Angelica very intrigued in the man. Deep inside her aching heart, she just wished that she had taken him as her own. But Eliza was happy and that's what mattered, right?

She let out a long sigh. "Why are you even falling for such a..." Her words trailed off, unable to find what she wanted to say. She kept trying to herself that falling for him was wrong, that if she said anything it would ruin everything.

But she had already fallen in love. What more could she hold back now?

As the thought crossed her mind, the door to her room opened before she could react. Eliza and her husband, Alexander, stumbled into the room kissing each other in a playful manner.

Angelica gulped loudly. She prayed that the dim light in the room would hide the growing tears in her eyes. The couple turned and saw Angelica. Eliza's eyes widened and she stuttered, "An-ange-"

Her sister just waved. "Yeah, I'm here."

All the while Eliza was explaining and making the situation more awkward than it already was, Alexander was staring at Angelica.

He was married to Eliza, but he had a moment with Angelica way back when he was a single man, even before he met Eliza.

Something about her made his heart still do a flip, but he promised himself never to bring that up.

She chuckled, which sounded slightly forced. "Your room is across the hall, last time I checked." Eliza grabbed Alexander's hand and pulled him along with her, her cheeks still bright red from interrupting her sister.

As they left the room, Angelica turned to look outside the window again. There was already some tiny snowflakes falling from the dusky clouds up above. They stuck to the window and then quickly melted at the touch of warmth.

She pressed her hand up against the frozen pane, her hand shrinking back by instinct. Her eyes shut and she let out a long sigh, one that seemed endless.

And then she thought to herself, Angelica, why are you doing this to yourself? Still silently dreaming about Alexander, who she was aware was just a door away, Angelica closed her eyes and tried to get some rest for herself and her endless mind.

When she was awaken a few hours later, there was a knock at her door. It was a timid knock, like someone who was possibly thinking about not even knocking at all.

Groaning and fixing her dress, Angelica rose from her spot on the windowsill, finding herself rubbing her arms for warmth, and answered the door. Her room had fallen dark now, as the moon was awake and the city asleep.

She was quite surprised to see the person she saw in the doorway. "Alexander?" The young man bowed his head, politely smiling. Angelica felt flames in her heart and every other place grow as he began to whisper.

"I'm sorry to bother you so late in the evening, but mind if I come in?"

Angelica probably should have questioned why he wanted to come into her room, but at that moment her mind just whirred and sang to her, begging her to let him in.

"Yes, of course, come in."

She stepped aside, allowing him to enter the room, before shutting the door not to wake the rest of the house. Alexander walked around her room, observing every inch and corner.