Mistakes (2)

Requested by: Naomi
OC: Catalina Jefferson

In the late of night, Thomas found himself where he usually was, writing at his desk. It calmed him, after a day of arguing with people who ignored his opinions. He let his mind freely wander, pen in hand, the words transferring to the parchment.

Hours ticked by, until he found himself yawning. He knew he should get rest, but if were to stop, then he might never start again.

But the better side of him gave in. Hastily, he put away his papers, going to whoosh out the flame of the candle. His eyes caught something on the edge of his desk, that he hadn't seen before. It certainly wasn't written in his handwriting.

Thomas leaned on the desk, staring at the written piece. If he read it, that would be a violation of privacy. However, anything that ended up in his presence was too tempting. He couldn't worry about the consequences.

Picking it up in hand, he looked out the door before reading it. Barely having read the first line, he spat, "God!" He tried to tell himself it wasn't true, but he kept reading and it slowly faded into reality.

When he finished reading it, he tossed back on the desk. Thomas could feel himself trembling, feeling very confused. Had his sister gone and had an affair? And it wasn't just that, it was the fact it was someone he knew.

Letting out a shaky breath, he rubbed his arms up and down. He didn't know quite how to react. However, he knew that he had to say something.

As if fate called, he heard a knock at the study door. Thomas quickly turned around to meet the eyes of someone he thought he knew. But he guessed he was wrong.

Catalina, dressed in a thin nightgown, leaned against the doorway. "Thomas, you need to sleep." She gave him a soft smile, but it only made his heart burn with anger.

He opened his mouth, only to be frozen. If he said something, it would come out in a way he would regret. Instead, he mumbled, "I was just going to."

Pleased with the answer, Catalina flipped her hair over her shoulder. "You better be telling the truth." And with that, she vanished into the darkened house, leaving Thomas, with nothing but his own mind to keep him sane.

The next morning, Thomas hurriedly rushed to Alexander's house. It wasn't often he visited the other man, since both of their views were different in many ways. But he couldn't just hold back this secret.

Knocking on the door, Thomas tapped his foot several times. He was nervous, as he had no possible idea of knowing what reaction he would receive. Alexander answered the door, to his own relief. Smirking, he questioned, "And what can I acquire you with, Jefferson?"

Thomas took no time to push the man aside and step into the home. He had power and purpose, and used it wisely. Alexander shut the door, already uncertain about the situation.

"Is something the matter?"

Practically holding back anything that might offend him, Thomas spun in a circle on his heels. Finally, he spoke. "Is Eliza here?"

Alexander crossed his arms almost instinctively. He was protective of his wife, and it set him off that Thomas was asking about her. She never was mentioned in any of their political discussions. "No," he replied.

There was a pause before Thomas blurted out, "I found this in my study. You need to read it, Alexander." He shoved the letter forward, feeling reluctant. When he didn't take the paper, Thomas spat, "Please."