About You

Requested by: ThtCreeChick
OC: Avalia Reynolds

The humming of violin strings that had filled the room stopped, with a loud applause following. There was lots of hollering as the couples made their way to the floor, linking hands, and stepping to the left and right. In a matter of seconds, the strings began creating a beautiful, rhythmic sound again.

From the side of the ballroom, a woman, with an unpleasant gaze watched the couples pass her by. She occasionally smiled at a familiar face, but otherwise stayed silent.

Her eyes flickered back and forth. So many faces, all with their own stories. Adorned in their best dressed and suits, the couples completely took away the breath from everyone. The woman watched with interest at the reactions of many single onlookers.

One person caught her attention. Hair pulled back into a tight ponytail, eyes never leaving his partner, he made all the ladies swoon. Her eyes surveyed him as he danced by. Having heard multiple accounts from her dear sister, she was aware of the man's flirtatious talk towards woman besides his own wife.

As they waltzed past her, the woman laid eyes on someone directly across the room. With a petite figure and a yellow dress, the other woman looked vaguely stressed. She certainly didn't seem pleased to be there.

Taking her chance, she walked across the center of the room, avoiding the couples who danced by her. The canary yellow dress still had her attention. "I don't believe we've met, miss." She stuck out her hand to the younger looking woman. When she didn't get a response, she shrunk back.

"Trust me, if you're worried if I'm flirting with you, I'm not." She chuckled, shaking away the nervousness. It was most certainly flirting, something that almost felt like another language to her.

The young woman moved a little closer, a clear sign she was interested. "No, I don't mind. If you are flirting with me, it wouldn't mean a thing, because tonight I'm going home alone."

"I didn't mean to imply-"

"You most certainly acted like you were implying something, with your done up lips and hair!" Huffing, the younger one shook her head back and forth. She shut her eyes before saying, "God, I shouldn't have even-"

"No, no it's quite alright. I'm used to getting comments like that." Had it been a bad idea to put on the red lipstick? She touched her lips, hoping that touch might wipe it all away. Her sister had insisted she wore it.

The one in the yellow dress murmured, "I'm afraid we haven't been properly introduced, which you were originally correct about. The name's Peggy. You probably know my sisters or my father." She seemed unsure of herself and not as confident as anyone else in the room.

Peering at her, with a sense of curiosity, she whispered, "Peggy. I'm sure the name suits you well enough. Little bit of flair, but a little bit of spunk to it." Tilting her head knowingly, she pondered on the subject. She quickly snapped back into reality. "Avalia, if you were wondering."

Peggy took her hand this time. She was almost visibly shaking, as if no one had actually interacted with her the whole night. "Not such a common name, I suppose. But I've heard around before, can't remember where..."

Avalia's heart began beating a little faster. Had she heard from the man her sister had acquainted with? Her sister rarely talked about her meetings with the young gentleman anyways, so there would have been no way to confirm.

Among all the celebration, she couldn't remember why she had agreed to attend the evening. Plus her hatred towards her sister was too strong. She felt going would make things between them stable for at least once.

"There could be millions of reasons you know my name, but tonight, all that's going to change." She leaned closer to the smaller woman, who nervously laughed.

"You're doing it again, Avalia," she murmured, feeling the other woman nearing. With her sisters both having their hearts set on some gentlemen, there was no one to save her from the attention she was receiving.

She didn't mind too much, but the words were really getting into her system. And she couldn't be quick enough to think of a witty response.

"The flirting?" Avalia bit the inside of her cheek, knowing just how correct she was on that. Her mind was twisting her words and playing with her feelings. But she couldn't help and be intrigued by the girl in front of her.

"Yes," Peggy barely squeaked. Her heart was pounding much faster than it had been. She felt trapped, with the world spinning around her. Across the room, her eyes landed on the sight of her sisters surrounding her brother in law. All she could see was a blur of blue and pink outfits.

Just as her eager admirer leaned over to her ear, there was a sudden shout. "Avalia!" When Peggy raised her head, all she managed to see was a flash of red before the woma beside her was thrown backward.

Her vision cleared, just in time to see Avalia clutching her jaw, looking directly at another woman who seemed to be a perfect reflection of herself. "Do you always have to ruin everything for me, Maria? It's all about you!"

Maria. Peggy's jaw tightened as she recalled the name. Of what she heard from her sister's conversations, the woman had made herself comfortable with her brother in law once or twice. If that had continued between them, Peggy was unaware.

"All about me?! Explain the intentions you had with this young woman. Don't lay a hand on her again. G-get out of here!" Even though it wasn't Maria's celebration, she would do whatever it took to get rid of her sister.

Avalia flipped her hair over her shoulder. "You somehow manage to ruin my evening every time. I should have just stayed home." Her eyes darkened as she stormed down the hall and towards the front door.

A few heads had turned, so Maria dryly replied to them, "Nothing's the matter." And just like that they all went back to dancing and drinking champagne and beer.

Peggy tried to slip away from the action, only to be stopped. Maria took a step forward, holding out her hand. "Are you alright?" She had an understanding smile on, a smile that made her want to spill out everything she had been hiding from her family and herself.

"I-I will be once this party ends." She cheekily grinned before giving the woman a gentle wave of thanks. "I appreciate you doing that."

Maria waved her hand as if it were such nonsense to say such a thing. "It's what one must do with Avalia Reynolds around. Protect and forget." Her shoulders rose and sank a couple of times.

Peggy nodded. Silently she told herself to thank the woman, but she didn't. Her heels turned towards the hall and she escaped up he staircase to her bedroom. Hands running up and down her jaw and neck, she faced herself in the mirror.

Avalia hadn't touched her. But she had been that close to doing something. The feeling of breath was still stained on her exposed skin.

Curling up on her bed, she rocked back and forth, trying to forget the recent events that had just occurred. Her eyes began to droop shut, but she refused to let sleep defeat her.

Barely minutes had passed, when she fell asleep, body falling backward on the sheets limply. Downstairs the drinking continued into the early hours of the morning. But up above, Peggy would stay safe and asleep for hours longer than the time they finally set down their glasses of alcohol.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
A/N: Thank you ThtCreeChick for the request! I enjoyed writing this and working with the idea of Maria having a sister. And just a note to all of you, finals are coming up for me, so I'm gonna be posting lots in the upcoming days so I can spend time studying when needed.