Wishes

Requested by: ruff1258

The rumbling sound of vibrating strings filled the thriving room. People had gathered around the center, observing the newly wed couple, who circled around the floor. A dim light above shone down on them.

From the back of the swarm of relatives and friends, stood General Washington. He could see through the bodies in front of him, the couple, swaying along the music. The smiles on their faces were so wide and joyous. He almost smiled to himself at the sight.

But he placed his fingers on his lips to force the smile to fade away. His eyes flickered from side to side as he tried to recognize faces. There were some of the soldiers under his command, their faces bright as they watched their friend guide his wife around the room.

Washington cleared his throat, picking up the glass of wine he had been drinking earlier. He tried to seem pleased to be there. It wasn't that he wasn't thrilled to be at the wedding. His mind just let wandering to the hundreds of duties and letters waiting for him at his desk.

He swallowed down a lump in his throat. All the worry he had been holding back flooded his body in a second. The feeling was so intense, he shuddered and shut his eyes. The thought of awaiting things to do made him more tense.

At that moment, the violin playing stopped and he looked up. Alexander, arm still wrapped around his wife, raised a glass to the men who had been providing the music. He turned his head ever so slightly and placed his lips to his wife's cheek.

The older man remembered his own wife, awaiting him at home. How dearly he missed her and his beloved land. She wrote often, asking how things were going. It pained him to reply, to tell her that he'd be away longer than expected.

However, he only wished the best for the newlywed couple. He promised himself to keep Alexander alive, for his wife's sake. If he couldn't be home with his own spouse, then he'd provide that for someone else.

Washington seemed to have lost track of time and people, as he felt a sudden tap on his shoulder. "Sir." He abruptly straightened his back and blinked a few times. His eyes laid upon Alexander.

"Alexander, I haven't formally given you my congratulations. Your wife is quite lovely, the future you have ahead of you shall be just as magnificent." He placed one hand on the newly married man's shoulder.

"Ah, your words are guidance to me, sir. I'm pleased you came. I know with the British, things aren't simple for you at this point. And I'm willing-" The young man was halted in his speech.

Shaking his head, Washington murmured, "We don't need to discuss this right now. Run off and have another dance with your wife." When he didn't budge, he nodded his head.

Alexander gave him one last word of thanks, before making his way across the room. He stopped halfway in the middle, giving his commander a look of respect. It lasted only for a few seconds, but after it happened, the moment was gone.

Washington watched as the couple reunited in the corner of the room. Smiling like there was no tomorrow, their vibes radiated to the others around them. He bowed his head and passed a few people, heading towards the exit.

A hand touched his shoulder, so he turned back around. The bride's sister had her hand still hanging in the air when he turned around. "Do you have to leave so soon? I know that-"

He abruptly replied, "I'm needed elsewhere. I have given my wishes to your brother in law and his wife. It's time to go." There was a silence between them before he took her hand gently.

"Look after him, will you? I don't want that boy getting hurt, or worse, hurting her." Tilting his head, he murmured, "You understand, right?"

It looked like the breath had been knocked out of her as she whispered, "Yes, sir." He dropped her hand from his, momentarily nodding to her as he left the house.

On the porch step, he placed his hat atop of his head, sucking in a breath. The breezes were chilling, a sign of winter. He rubbed his hands together furiously, taking the steps on by one.

The walk would be long for Washington. He would have to walk farther than he imagined to find where he needed to be. In only a few weeks would he find himself in battle, throwing commands left and right.

But all that was a distance away. All he truly wanted was to go home. After experiencing the wedding, he only wanted to be with his own wife again and never look back at what was the past. He knew deep down, that wouldn't happen for a long time.

So he pushed those thoughts in the back of his mind and kept walking the long path, not knowing where it was leading him.

. . . . . . . . . .
A/N: Thank you ruff1258 for the request! I had a great time writing more of Washington and breaking down his character to create this.