Margarita

Requested by: alecccccc

Months had gone by since the beginning of the winter season. Trees had begun shedding their leaves, with the core of their trunk turning crystal white. But by the time a third month of the year arrived, the leaves formed again and brought in a selection of green colors.

While most folk in the city took the chance at a slight change in weather to venture outside, there was one person that didn't step into the light of the sun. From the shelter of her own home, Margarita watched the passerby, with a gleam of interest in her eyes.

Over the course of the winter months, her health had worsened. There were days she couldn't even get up from bed. But there were others where her heart was still as lively as it had been when she was young.

In her mind, to experience the decline in life alone would have been the worst thing to happen. Much to her luck, the charming man her sister married to was nearby during that time. He'd drop by her home and talk with her for hours on end, busily keeping her company.

One afternoon, as they discussed her nieces and nephews, Margarita felt her heart begin to sink in an unusual way. For a moment, the world spun in a circle. A panicked look must have come across her face, for that caring brother in law of hers leapt to his feet.

"Peggy," he stammered. Lifting her on her feet, Alexander carried her into a room, to the bed in the corner. His eyes were wide, with a terrified glint in them, fearing for her life. He couldn't face another death alone.

Chuckling softly, she waved her hand at him cheerfully. It was almost a gesture as to say how perfectly alright she was. If only she could see the pale color spreading across her cheeks at that very moment.

Something must have snapped inside her body, for a surprised gasp echoed around the room all of a sudden. Alexander reached forward and held her hand in his.

There was a pause and then a long breath left her lips. Peggy's eyes no longer blinked at the sound of her weeping brother in law. Body completely still, it was official that she had been taken from the world.

Alexander had been keeping contact with his wife, informing her of the youngest sister's health and development. He couldn't imagine how he would start the next letter. To say that she had died was too much for him to put into any combination of words.

Later that day, Stephen arrived home, eager to see how his wife was doing. But the moment he heard the sound of Alexander descending the staircase, dragging his feet along, he knew it had to be over.

Both men gave each other looks, before crushing one another in an embrace. Breaking into tears, Alexander told the story of her final moments, how he had been there, and how she went peacefully. Stephen held his own tears in for a long time, before an earth shattering sob came from his mouth.

Arrangements for letting others know and the funeral were made only a few days after. Letter after letter was sent, alerting relatives and friends of the unfortunate loss. Replies came shortly, even with the arrival of family members and those who had been told.

Her parents arrived, both of them fairly composed. The woman wrapped her arms around her daughter's husband, while her own husband remained by the doorway, looking up the staircase with a sullen look. It was only when he passed the only surviving child of his daughter that he did begin to fall apart.

Alexander stayed by the twelve year old's side, making sure the boy was holding up alright. He had experienced the pain the youngling was going through. He knew what it felt like to lose a parent at such a young age.

And he knew how dreadful it was to be alone while going through it. So he promised himself to tend to the boy and keep him company.

The sisters arrived only a day or so after their parents. Each surrounded with children at their waists, the two looked miserable. Even some of the oldest children had come along, as their mothers insisted upon it.

Angelica stepped into the parlor, eyes welling up the moment she noticed her brother in law and her sister's son. She rushed forward and tightly held them both in her arms. Her sister followed her into the room, a swarm of children on her heels.

Eliza burst into tears, holding her husband close to her, and not wanting to let go. The children silently watched, a few of them heading over to give their respects to their cousin. Sniffling loudly, both women let their emotions flow freely.

They were soon joined by their brothers and other sister. Catherine wept into her eldest sister's shoulder, "I refuse to believe she's gone." Angelica shushed her, brushing her fingers through the woman's hair, shaking her head tiredly. All of them would have to face her lifeless body at some point.

John stepped over to his brother in law and quietly thanked him for everything. A little flushed by the gesture, Alexander replied back softly, "Your sister's thoughts were with all of you in her final days. I can assure you of that, sir." The man only nodded his head again in a thankful reply.

The moment came for the siblings to head upstairs and say their final goodbyes to their sister's lifeless figure. Huddled in the doorway, they gave each other reassuring looks and whispers. Just like they had when they were young, they would do it together.

The three sisters, without their fourth, ascended the stairwell quietly. Behind them, their brothers followed up and around to the bedroom. Out of the muffled sounds of bodies moving from side to side on the floorboards, the wailing sounds of the siblings crying triumphed them all.

All of the wives and husbands of the siblings cuddled their children close, smothering them with reassurance. There was a chilling scream followed by a sob, which caused even the oldest ones to shudder.

After almost half an hour with only the sounds of sobbing and muffled talking above, the group of them emerged back on the stairwell. It was led by the brothers this time, one of whom had his arm looped around his oldest sister. A distance behind them, the two other sisters followed along their shadows.

And then came the time to say goodbye.

Everyone parted ways, promising to see one another at the funeral again. The last bunch to leave was the Hamilton family. Alexander paused in the doorway, watching his wife whisper quietly to Stephen. The two of them nodded at one another before heading their separate directions.

Moments after the family had left, Stephen ascended the staircase, glancing in at his wife's body. Her clothing had been changed for the funeral and burial process. Covering his mouth and stifling the sobs, all he wanted to do was run over and hold her.

But she was only a corpse. What was left of Margarita was just her beautiful body, or much more like the cocoon the lord gave her upon birth. And then he took it away from her and let that adventurous butterfly set on its destination to a better world, to somewhere up above the clouds and stars.

. . . . . . . . . .
A/N: Thank you alecccccc for the request! I really loved writing this for you. And I made sure to have everyone's reaction to her death in this, from her siblings, to her husband, to her parents, and nieces and nephews. To anyone who's requested something; I'm writing them and haven't forgotten! I'll have them up soon, thank you for your patience.