Hatred

Upon finding a suggestive letter in her sister's room, Angelica found herself stricken with confusion. How could it be possible? Out all the things she expected of her, what the letter told her, wasn't one of those things. She couldn't understand why she hadn't come to her for advice or even just to discuss it.

Ever since they were young, the two sisters talked to one another about anything they possibly could. If something happened, one of them was the first to hear. But to hide love letters, from a man of great honor, was too much for the older sister.

And even so, she couldn't believe herself for being so blind to notice the way the two had acted around one another. Of the times he had been invited over, Eliza captured his attention in an unlikely manner. Angelica thought nothing of it at the time. She felt foolish for not looking closer at their encounters.

All she felt was betrayal. If she had known sooner, maybe she could have lent her experience with men. After all, her sister wasn't familiar with the way they thought and what they needed. Her hands crushed the letter she held as she let her mind wander into those unnecessary places.

"Angelica?"

She whipped her head around, caught red handed with the letters. In the doorway, Eliza watched her sister intently. Seeing her collection of letters spread out on the floor everywhere in sight made her stomach twist. It was distressing to see her secrets exposed.

"You've read the letters." Eliza cleared her throat that had gone dry at the sight. She took a few steps forward, before crouching down beside her sister. "I know it's unlike me. But oh, how he writes to me. I cannot refuse his love, you must know that."

Angelica lowered her gaze. Her mind was running wild. "You love him?" She lifted up a letter, right as her sister snatched it from her hand. Her sister had certainly fallen for the man, if she was that protective of his writings.

"We have only corresponded for a short period of time, but yes. I'm in love with the way his quill touches the paper, his eyes, how he refers to me, every bit of it. I'm in love for the first time in my life!" Eliza chuckled, wrapping her arms around her stomach. She pressed her lips together and watched her sister patiently.

"Short period of time? How could you possibly fantasize about a man you have only known for only a few weeks? Don't let yourself fall under his spell too quick, my dear." With a firm snap of her wrist, she swept the letters up and set them down on the bed in the center of the room. Her sister followed her desperately.

"You don't know anything of me! I love him with all my heart. Never in my life have I ever felt this way for a man." She grabbed some of the letters from her sister's arms. Angelica calmly displayed the rest of them on the bed, ignoring the attempts to take them back.

A sigh left her lips. The girl she once knew was gone. Now here she was, spending her time sending letters to a man and wishing upon impossible things. By the way he spoke of her, he seemed generous but not the right fit.

"Does he love you?"

Eliza breathlessly looked at her sister. "Haven't you read his letters? He speaks of me with honesty and devotion. If you think-"

Angelica turned to her younger sister. Her eyes flashed with a bit of darkness. She knew deep down what she was about to say was utterly wrong. It might destroy everything.

"I'm afraid for you. If you truly love this man, won't you take a moment to think? You have all the men you want willing to be your beloved. I believe it's so insensitive of you to even not think of the future. He could just as easily throw you down the drain as quickly as he let you out. You have written him senseless words, Eliza. You're sending yourself blindly to your own ruin."

Both sisters took a step away from one another, immediately affected. One of them felt broken, while the other felt lost. The letters were still sprawled out on the bed. Eliza glanced over at them. She had wanted to receive respect from her sister, not to be shamed for her actions.

"If that's what you believe, then I will go to my own ruin without shame." She reached out to grab some of the letters, only to have them snatched away from her grasp. Gasping, the sister tried to retrieve them.

Angelica held them high enough that only she could reach them. Tears were forming in her eyes the more she watched her sister cry at her growing frustration. Her lover's written words were held high where she couldn't touch them.

But she couldn't have predicted what happened next. Through tears, Eliza watched as her sister, someone she trusted, toss some of the letters into the nearby fireplace. The flames began licking up the paper, only seconds before she realized. No.

"No!" Stumbling forward on the edges of her dress, Eliza reached her bare hand into the fire, wincing at the pain. One of the letters was completely covered in waves of orange. But she managed to grab the other two that had faced an unfortunate doom.

Holding the crinkled, burnt letters, she glared at her sister. Angelica's face had turned pale the second the flames had sprung upon the parchment. She didn't know what to say.

"Leave me alone. Please leave me be. You have made your point clear." Eliza let herself break down. She covered her face with the warm papers as her shoulders began to shake with every sniffle and cry.

Angelica stuttered, "I-I never mean-"

"I hate you! I absolutely hate you! Just leave me alone." That was all the broken sister managed to say before collapsing on the floor of her room. Weakly clinging to the letters, she watched her sister dash out of the room.

Once she had gotten a distance away, Angelica burst into sobs. What have I done? She had become a monster in such a short amount of time. And she left her little sister damaged. It was all her fault.

She had been looking out for her. What made her wrist twist and throw those letters into the fire would never be explained. Her mind had travelled too deep, into dark passages. She never wanted to see herself like that again.

Eliza said she had been pleased. Wasn't that what mattered? The fact that they had only known each other for a little while meant nothing. But it still made Angelica's heart spin in circles. She couldn't afford her sister to have her heart broken.

And even if her actions caused a hatred to rise between them, she wouldn't stop one second in protecting her little sister.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
A/N: The song Sonya & Natasha from Natasha, Pierre and The Great Comet of 1812 inspired me to write this. I tried to place the lyrics into a story, similar but different than what the musical portrays. If you haven't heard the song, or the musical, I really suggest it. It's one of my favorite musicals!