Here Again

Requested by: MichaelaTheWordsmith

Winter had arrived. The city had grown silent for once, as the flakes of white began to descend to the bare grounds. People huddled in their homes for warmth, not braving the bitter weather outside their doors.

Church bells rang into the storm, signaling each hour. As the snow fell, gravestones were immersed underneath. Names were just barely able to be seen, for the height of the snow kept growing by the day.

There was a trial of footprints, placed in the snow similar to the engraved names on the tombstones. The path lead to a hunched over woman, her head ducked away from the wind and flakes. She was crouched in front of a grave, one that stood out among the rest.

Her cloak was draped out on the snow around her, protecting her from the storm. Tears traced her pale cheeks, as she looked up at the grave before her. Every so often, she looked like she wanted to say something.

A single hand, dressed in a sleek black glove, emerged. She reached out towards the delicate marble, just within her reach. When her hand barely touched the grave, it flinched back.

The woman sobbed, covering her face. "I miss you." The words hadn't even completely left her lips before she went back into a fit of crying. Her cries echoed against the wailing winds nearing in the distance.

It had been years since she had seen her beloved husband. Almost a decade had passed since she heard him speak. It had been too long since she touched his face, kissed him, told him how much she loved him. Too long.

Months had passed, days where she struggled to have strength to keep moving on. As the hours ticked on, she watched her children grow older. If only he could be by her side to see their success and growth.

There had been nights where she cried herself to sleep, only wishing for his body to lay beside hers. She remembered collapsing at the news of his death, the news that she was a widow.

The morning of his death was a vivid memory to her. When she pleaded to know where he was going, he pushed her away. Rejected, she had tried again to ask where he was going again. He had only avoided her gaze and murmured, "Eliza." For the last time.

And years later, his broken hearted wife found herself begging for him to be alive. She pounded her fists against the snow, where she knew he was buried. Alexander. His name only sounded like a distant tale to her.

Eliza hadn't even said goodbye. Not even then, sprawled in front of his marble grave, could she utter the word. She should have had the chance to say it to his face, the proper way.

But that was all history. That bullet had surely killed her husband, by deeply affected her. It felt like she was carrying extra weight in her chest everyday. Something still haunted her about that day, whether it be his death or the lasting affect on his legacy.

Wasted time had managed to slip past her fingertips. There was so much she knew she should have said, things they could have done, but all of that was gone. She couldn't redeem anything now. Her husband was below the soil, completely taken away by a single bullet.

He had been the best husband. No one would ever replace her dear Alexander. He certainly wouldn't ever leave her. A necklace with some words he once wrote her, was tied around her neck. She didn't intend on taking it off.

Eliza wiped her eyes. The one thing she was most certain of was that he would have wanted her to stay strong. It wouldn't be long before they saw each other again. She had to keep her head high for just a bit longer.

The storm was picking up around her, snow melting on the features of her face. It actually made the tears wash away and a tiny smile appear on her lips. Timidly, her hand reached out, this time touching the marble engraved words. At the touch, her body instinctively shivered.

Eliza moved forward on her knees, now pressed up against the grave. At his death, she hadn't been able to even look in the direction of where he was buried. In that time, she had grown so comfortable with his resting place.

Her arms wrapped helplessly around the side she could reach. Flakes bit at her face as she raised her head up to the sky. That would be the closest she'd ever get to saying goodbye.

But it was something she clung onto. Her husband might have already been immersed in the soil, body exposed to the world below. That didn't remove the fact that she still knew he was there. And that he would stay there for the rest of time, through all the storms and downfalls, with her by his side until she was taken away too.

. . . . . . . . . .
A/N: Thank you MichaelaTheWordsmith for the request! The song this one shot was inspired by is absolutely beautiful, it's from Phantom Of The Opera called Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again, so if you haven't listened to it, you should check it out.