Assumptions

Requested by: atotalfandommess

"And this is my sister, Margarita."

Those six words changed Alexander Hamilton's life drastically. From the moment he married, that was the definite second that he was thrown into a family of vast backgrounds. One of those included the darling Margarita.

He'd always noticed her in the shadows of parties held at the mansion, but never expected to see her finally in the light. It became clear when he met her that she was a completely different person than he assumed she was.

He could also tell from the moment they first met that their relationship would be exceptional. Or so he hoped it would be.

"You're exactly as she described you. Got a bit of a stride in your step, and whole lot of confidence in yourself. That all seems to be a cloak to hide something that you don't wish to bring up though. But your charming smile is definitely what captured my sister." Peggy had crossed her arms, sizing his figure up.

She seemed to enjoy the challenge of having a new man around, by the intelligent smirk on her lips, but equally as disappointed.

Alexander recalled turning to his wife, a little stunned by her predictions about his true character. She looked at him and immediately recognized the flaws and perfections.

That fascinated him greatly.

After meeting the extended family as well, and while everyone exited the mansion, Alexander chased the younger sister down the hall. She heard his footsteps and turned at the pounding sound. Screeching to a halt in front of her, he smiled brightly.

"What you said earlier about me, why, I'm quite delighted that you read me so easily." He didn't know what else to say, or why he was saying anything at all, but he eagerly awaited the sister's answer.

Peggy pursed her lips together. "Well, I've had experience. You wouldn't believe how many men have come through these halls, tripping over their heels to impress one of my sisters. If you were me, you'd take notice too."

Touching her shoulder, to prevent her from leaving him stranded, Alexander stammered to her, "I respect that. Since you don't seem to be with a man of your own, I can understand the need to read other men an-"

"Men don't define who I am, Alexander."

With a twist in her hip, she hurried down the hall, clearly not interested in talking any longer than needed. Alexander watched her go, mouth open slightly. His wife wandered up behind him, taking his hand and telling him that was just Peggy.

She was more than just Peggy. It stuck out to Alexander as the days passed how unique she was compared to her sisters. Every chance he got, he talked to her, wrote, and offered his advice to the stubborn woman.

"You're not giving in, are you?" Alexander asked her this one afternoon, as they sat across from each other in the mansion's library, a few months after he had been married. He flipped the page of his book, not really looking at it.

Peggy slammed her book shut. "I'm confused as to why my life matters so much to you. I don't have to accept your advice or what you call brotherly affections."

He leaned forward, the floorboards groaning under his feet. "We're related now, whether you care to accept that or not. And it would-"

"Not by blood," she hissed back, rising from her spot as her sister came in. Before she could ask how everything was going, Peggy strolled out, giving a half smile at her brother in law.

Despite her constant remarks, and need to be overly independent, Alexander stayed determined to crack that thick core in Peggy, just enough to help her on the right path. She knew what she wanted, but didn't know how to get that distant thing.

So he intended on assisting her in finding that thing she desperately wanted.

Though she wouldn't admit it, the girl was getting tired of being alone. Her siblings were getting married one by one, and yet she was left at home once again. Alexander intended to find a man for her. Someone who understand her, but strode right alongside with her.

He knew it would be the best thing for her.

"Peggy," he called to her, stepping up behind her, as she brushed her hair one morning. She shot him a infuriated look. Her mouth opened as she went to question why he was in her room, but she thought otherwise.

With little hesitation, he calmly mentioned the name, "Stephen Van Rensselaer." Her eyes lit up curiously, but she covered it with a displeased look in his direction.

"And what does that name mean to me?"

"It could possibly be your future husband, if you so choose to build a relationship with this gentleman." Alexander clapped his hands together, circling around her. "What do you think of that, Margarita?"

Momentarily shocked, she stared up at her brother in law. He was entirely too cheerful about the subject of marriage. Did he really believe it was that simple? She silently decided he did. After all, he was married himself.

Men weren't creatures that often crossed young Peggy's mind. Sometimes they did, but not as much as her sisters. She couldn't possibly think of marriage. It seemed so unlike her and only something her siblings could do with ease.

Would he like me? Peggy glanced at her reflection in a mirror off to the side. Curls framed the paleness of her face and highlighted all the imperfections. She sighed, tapping her hairbrush against her palm.

"I'd have to meet the man first, now wouldn't I?" Forcing a smile, that all of a sudden wasn't so forced after all, Peggy turned back to brushing her hair. She was slowly beginning to appreciate her brother in law.

Not long after that, for what would be the only time, Peggy fell in love. She blushed when around her man, completely charmed by his affections and love. Maybe her sisters hadn't been wrong about finding a man.

But at the end of the day, Alexander was the one to thank. His determination to crack the real Margarita open made her overall an even stronger woman. She made sure to let him be aware of that.

"The credit to my relationship should go to you, Alexander. You dealt my stubbornness and brutal treatment for months, and were kind enough to get me a man because of that."

Alexander shrugged to himself. "I had to do something for you. I found myself fascinated with you when we got introduced. Would you say I made you a better person?" He raised an eyebrow at her.

Peggy pressed her lips together. She held back a smile, as she stepped past him. "I wouldn't get ahead of yourself there, Hamilton." And then she flashed him a grin and headed back into the mansion, where her family awaited.

And he let out a sigh of relief for the first time in years. She finally had accepted him, and that to Alexander was like a breath of fresh air. He thought back to all the letters he tried to give her advice that she never took.

All those assumptions he'd made about her at the beginning of their relationship had been for her sake, and looking back, he was thankful he took an interest in her from the start. It brought them to a conclusion that ended well on both of their sides for once.

. . . . . . . . . .
A/N: Thank you atotalfandommess for the request! I really enjoyed writing this for you, and writing about Alexander and Peggy's relationship. Thank you for being patient for this to be written. And that goes for many others, thanks for waiting for your request to be completed! I promise more will be up soon.