Patience

Requested by: Gigi_the_writer
OC: Georgia Grace

Little whispers filled the air in the town circle, only to erupt into loud shouts. As usual, some men had too much to drink and had completely gone mad. For those who hadn't drank, they began to have sensible conversations that turned into violent remarks.

It was usual behavior. Most didn't stop them from talking rudely about the crown or whatever they discussed. As long the redcoats didn't overhear, they could say anything.

Their remarks grew stronger with every word and phrase. Spitting at one another, they joked about the King and his loyal followers. Still no one spoke up and stopped them.

From aside the crowd of men, stood a young woman, her face pale but attentive. She was listening to the remarks being thrown back and forth and her interest only peaked at the mention of her gender.

"Ah, women, lovely creatures aren't they? How they provide such little for us, while we're fighting for this country!" There were roars of agreement and the men all leapt up and down.

She couldn't see who was talking, but the woman knew she be aware soon enough. If she heard another snarky remark, most certainly there would be no questioning her further actions.

A different voice spoke up. "All women are meant to do is clean, give us food, and be our companions, if you know what I mean." There were snorts of approval but no other words.

Pulse rising, she refrained from interrupting their little conversation. But their little conversation was slowly turning into something more and she was disliking it very much.

"They're nothing more than women. You know, I overheard one saying yesterday how she wanted to fight for this land. Hah! Go back to pouring me some ale, right?" Hoots and hollers only grew stronger. That was the last straw.

Taking her steps quickly, she shoved through the crowd of men to the center. All of them whistled at the sight of her, but it grew silent once more. She glared directly at the couple of men who had been saying the remarks.

Before any of them could say something to her, she shouted, "How dare you!"

One of the men, wiped his mouth before saying, "Go back to cooking, miss. It'll do you good to be slaving away by the fireplace." He smirked, showing his unclean teeth.

She stalked towards him. "That makes you pleased? Sending me back to where I supposedly belong?" There were sarcastic jeers at her comment.

"Mind you sir, but while you're away fighting, we're back here cooking and cleaning your suits. While you lazily chug down your beer, I am the one who has to clean up the vomit to your left. And if you think for one second that women do nothing to secure your safety here, then you need to reexamine your facts." She was close enough to touch him.

His breath reeked of alcohol. "Well, whatever you say, go and get me an ale. You don't belong out here in the crowds. Do your duties." He waves his hand as if to shoo her away.

"And what's your duty, sir? Isn't it protecting this country? You're not doing that duty any good, look at yourself. Can't even properly wipe your face nor dress yourself. I'm sure that if you were to put a woman in the field, she'd knock the enemy dead." Although she knew it would be best to step back, she didn't.