Possiblities (2)

Requested by: rebdomnic
OC: Ich Étang

"Attendez, mon cher!"

Picking up the edges of her skirt, Ich hurried to catch up with her partner. Her shoes slipped with her every step, so she reached out to grab nothing but air. Thankfully, the man she was with grabbed her just before she went tumbling to the ground. Ich breathed out a sigh of relief.

"Darling, take a deep breath." He looked down at her with an amused smile. It was serious business when she started speaking rapid French. But he knew how to calm her down.

Ich huffed, but let her lungs engulf air. At once she felt relieved and not so light headed. She clutched her partner's hands tightly, before nodding that they could continue walking.

When they reached the door to the room where music and laughter was coming from, Ich grabbed his hands again. There was a nervous energy radiating from her. Her partner sensed it, so he reassured her again. "Take deep breaths, love."

She stuttered, "Alexander, I-" But he only shushed her in reply and insisted they continue inside. Ich gulped down her worries and followed him behind the doors.

The second she stepped into the ballroom, all of the world seemed to freeze. Ladies with their done up hair looked in her direction. Men with sensible facial expressions eyed her. A pounding formed in the back of Ich's brain as she stayed by the doorway. Her fears were coming true slowly.

But then a family hand connected with hers and she reminded herself the reason she even came to the ball. Alexander. With a comforting smile on his lips, he pulled her closer and made her forget how many people were watching her at that very second.

For the next few hours, their hands barely disconnected. And if they did, neither of them moved any further away then they had been before. Alexander was aware of how much she disliked social situations. However, she would have to get used to them if she wanted to be with him.

During one of the many conversations that her partner struck up, Ich heard someone calling her name. She hadn't thought anyone would know who she was. To everyone she had been introduced to she was just Alexander's dearly beloved. The closer the voice got to her, the more she recognized it.

She spun around on her heel just in time to see Eliza come towards her. "Eliza!" Both women gasped and grabbed one another. It had been months since they'd seen each other. Shortly after getting to know the soldier, Ich received word that her friend was going to be out of town on her father's note. That had been the only time she heard from her.

"Out of all the characters here tonight, I wouldn't have expected to see a Schuyler!" Ich pressed her hands to her friend's cheeks. Eliza grinned at the touch.

"Oh, how I meant to write to you sooner and tell you of my arrival! But it seems like you're quite alright in life though." She nodded her head back at Alexander. Instinctively, Ich blushed.

"Ah, yes. We have gotten to be close over the past few months and I have never been more pleased," Ich whispered back. She beamed excitedly, clutching her friend's hands. Before she could reply, Alexander excused himself from his conversation and headed to the ladies.

"Eliza?" His eyes widened in disbelief as he noticed the woman he once asked to consider being a romantic partner with. She hadn't changed a bit, that was for sure. And she still managed to bring a certain young light to the room she was present in.

Looking at her friend, Eliza hesitantly acknowledged the man before. It would be considered unladylike if she didn't. She refrained from letting him kiss her hand, for her friend's sake. Instead, she politely curtsied.

"You're still as young and radiant as you were the day we first met, miss." Alexander tilted his head at her. Ich glanced between the two of them, her heart beating faster. She could clearly tell that he was flirting. But the question was if Eliza would return the gesture?

She certainly wasn't intending to. Eliza placed a hand on her hip. "I believe your beloved is the only young and radiant light in this room, sir. She exhibits the most lively spirit in this place filled with such dreadful beings." As he looked at her with a confused gaze, she nervously downed a glass of alcohol.

Ich crossed her arms. She silently laughed to herself. At least her friend was there to back her up in the way she should.

Alexander wasn't giving up. He was trying his best to be sly with his words, so Ich wouldn't be suspicious. He wasn't aware that she already was. But none of that stopped his naturally flirtatious heart.

"I'd be honored to escort you in a dance. Isn't that a familiar song they're playing?" He reached out his hand, only to receive rejection.

Eliza shook her head. "How inconsiderate can one man be? Take her hand, not mine. You're just as impolite as I recall you to be." She curtsied again, before nodding at Ich. With that, she escorted herself out the ballroom.

Desperate, Alexander looked over at the woman he brought with him. His hand was still hanging in the air in front of him, shaking slightly. Ich sighed, giving him a look of both sympathy and pain.

"You know that was foolish to do. Don't think I'm not clever enough to understand your ways, dearest." Taking her right hand, she linked their hands. Alexander let out a long breath of air he had been holding in his lungs.

"Oh, did you really think I was going to leave you like raw meat?" She pressed her body closer to his, bringing them closer to the floor where couples swayed back and forth. He twirled her out and away, before pulling her back. She whispered, "Just don't try it again."

And so their dancing continued throughout the night, with both intensity and passion. Ich was still heated about how he tried to play with her friend, but at the same time, thankful to have him at her side. She knew that he wouldn't try anything like that again.

That was what she hoped at least.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
A/N: Thank you mttmatsu for the request! I enjoyed writing a second part for this, so hope you liked how it turned out!