On A Cloud

Something had happened. It was the way that the air hung over the town that made it seem unlike any other day. Adults were aware of the scandal that had been committed. But the children were clueless to the political framework that had fallen.

There was one child in particular who was directly affected by this news. John, so very young at the time, didn't understand what was going on. When his mother had started sobbing and shaking, he knew something was wrong.

All he heard was his father's name being shouted in anguish again and again before he was swept away.

The days that followed were unruly. John's parents barely spoke to one another. No longer did he receive night kisses from his father. It had been something that made him toss and turn. Every night he received a kiss of well wishes and dreams. But the empty feeling in his heart was growing more as he began to grasp what had happened.

As much as the five year old tried to realize what situation the family was in, no one was open to discuss it. His siblings shoved him away to comfort his mother. Meanwhile, his father was nowhere in sight. So he used his increasing skills to find out what caused such distress to everyone.

John tended to sneak around a corner near the drawing room and try to catch a conversation with his siblings. Once he heard his oldest brother whispering, "Why would he ever do that to mother? To go off with another woman, well that shows you what kind of example he's setting for us."

Then there was the evidence of his father arriving home. When he would run up to him with open arms, there would be a slight hesitation before an embrace. John often clung to his father's leg before his mother snapped for him to go upstairs. But he would watch from the top of the staircase and flinch at the sound of his mother's desperate cries.

So much was going through the child's brain as all of the things unfolded. He caught onto the fact that there was another woman in the situation, one who wasn't his dear mother. If he had been a little older, more articulate, he was sure he would understand.

While his family was dealing with their troubles and breaking down, John would stay in his room and look out at the city. His hands would press against the glass panes, as he tried to see the glamorous outfits and excitement.

But then he shrunk away from the window and realized what the world was really like out there. The second he was grown, he was to be thrown into a world called politics. His father often talked and wrote about that. John didn't like the sound of it however.

He wanted to stay in his room, where it was safe and gentle. Out in the world, people were different than they were inside. He didn't want to see what dangers were outside his window, only the good.

John leaned against the wall, bringing his knees up to his chest. All he wished was for his parents to get along again. Why did father make mother cry? He shut his eyes and let little exasperated breaths creep out of his mouth.

He tried to think of something better than the mayhem inside his home. A vision of a cloud appeared in his mind and he let out a soft whimper. It was beautiful. There were children of all ages, gazing at him with loving looks. He had no idea what the place was, but he didn't want to see it go.

John's shoes scuffed against the wooden floorboard as he shifted around. He could picture a woman ahead of him. One of his smaller hands reached out as if to touch her and see if she was real. She was dressed all in white, arms outstretched.

She's waiting for me, his mind whispered. By some magic, he was suddenly in her arms, being rocked back and forth. The woman hushed him, singing a lullaby. John would like to say to his parents how he was too old for a lullaby every night. But they weren't there, so he didn't object.

John looked up at the lady, who smiled back down at him. Her skin glowed with every note she sang. Something about her seemed so family yet so unreal. When she finished singing the lullaby, he heard her whisper, "John, I love you very much."

All of a sudden, John felt his cheeks grow moist with tears. Love. For the first time in that month, John felt loved. The lady loved him and she really meant it. But before he could thank her or gasp in surprise, the world faded away and he found himself back in his room.

At first, the young boy sat in silence. He was unsure if all he had just seen was real. And secondly, he was saddened to see it go. A frown covered his face as he rose to his face.

Downstairs he could hear the sound of his father's study door slam shut, shortly before his mother shouted, "You aren't getting any sympathy, Alexander!" Her words were followed by a trail of sobs.

John shut his eyes and tried to hold back any tears. He had to stay strong for his mother, even if he didn't know what was going on.

That castle, that beautiful place, never left his mind. It was a place where no one cried, no one was lost, and everyone smiled. For once he had found a place that wasn't covered with a sense of darkness.

No one had shouted or shoved him away up there. The woman in white had actually offered him something sweet. The last time that had happened in real life was too long ago for him to possibly remember.

Just as he was recalling the haven, a realization occurred. What if that was the only place he'd ever feel safe? What if things never got better?

He knew he shouldn't think that way. But how couldn't he when the world seemed to be falling apart? All he could do was pray. John heard his mother say multiple times that praying helped heal bad things.

Maybe if he just prayed with more persistence, then his father would look his way. Maybe if he wished for the gods above to help his mother stop crying, they would make it happen.

And one thing he really wanted, one thing he'd really pray for every night, would be to see that castle on a cloud again. He needed to feel safe again, away from all the trouble of reality. At least, just one more time.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
A/N: So I decided to write a one shot based off Castle on a Cloud from Les Misérables. I thought of how difficult it must have been for the Hamilton children to deal with their father's scandal. For the youngest at the time, John, I can't imagine what that must have been like. Therefore, this was made! And sorry, I'm getting to requests today, so don't worry. I wanted to also thank you guys, this book just reached 30k reads! Thank you for always reading these and supporting my writing!