Reunited

Requested by: loukim0107
OC: Louise Kim

Months had passed without news from the troops that had marched to fight against the redcoats. People were growing worried among the cities, praying that they hadn't all been swept away by some horrible disease or the loss of the war.

But the day came where there was cheering and celebrations. One by one, they walked the streets, less of them in numbers. Each soldier had a smile on his face. They were home.

Women and children flooded the streets, hoping to see their loved ones. There was shouting and exasperated cries as lovers and relatives were reunited at last.

Among the swarms of people, one woman in particular was craning her neck to find who she was looking for. Her heart throbbed at the thought that he might have not survived. All around her people were rejoicing and she was only becoming more anxious.

Just then there was the sound of even louder cheers. She jumped and down to see who or what everyone was shouting at. In the distance, riding atop his horse, was General Washington, with a proud smile. And behind him was the only person she had been waiting for.

Pushing her way through the the crowds, the woman tried shouting his name. "Gilbert!" If he had heard it, that would have been a miracle with the amount of screaming there was.

She tried again, this time seeing him cock his head to the side. Had he heard? Desperately she used all her strength to push towards him, grabbing onto the reins of the horse.

The man looked down at the feeling of someone tugging at the reins and gasped. He halted his horse and cried out, "Louise?" Eyes filling up with tears, he reached down to grab her hand. With the remaining energy he had left, he lifted her up onto the horse.

Once she had collapsed weakly in his arms, he started sobbing. It had been months since they had seen on another. Every night he remembered praying for her and himself. He made sure to stay alive, just for her.

"Oh, my dear Lafayette," she murmured into his neck. He ran a hand up and down her back, unable to respond. People had surrounded their horse, shouting and waving little flags.

Thinking quick, Lafayette grabbed the reins single handed and yelled for the horse to go again. As the horse began to head down the center of town steadily, he held Louise close.

The whole way he kept her in his embrace. He couldn't have imagined ever feeling her that close after all the stormy months he had been away. Every moment he had to himself, he wrote to her and told stories of the war.

And there he found himself in the place he had wanted to be for months. They arrived on horse in town, with Washington already awaiting them. He beamed up at the Marquis, holding back his tears. It seemed almost like a dream that they had actually won.

Lafayette jumped down from the horse, to be greeted by lots more cheering. He reached back up and helped Louise down. When she landed on both feet, he delicately kissed her forehead before turning to Washington.

"Sir," he said, nodding at the man who couldn't stop looking at him with such pride. Both of them shook hands respectfully, before finishing the moment by embracing one another.

Louise watched as he next tackled another young man in an embrace. The two of them swung around in circles, whooping with laughter. Washington chuckled but didn't say anything.

The man whom Lafayette had his arms around was unable to wipe the smile off his face. All of a sudden his eyes widened at someone standing a distance behind Louise.

"Eliza!" He patted his colleague on the shoulder before dashing across to greet the woman. They met halfway as he swooped her up in his arms.

Louise beamed. Everywhere she looked there was people reuniting, flags being waved, and just such a delightful celebration. America had finally won. She certainly knew they wouldn't stop celebrating about this victory for a long, long time.

Two arms curled around her stomach. She tilted her head to see the person behind her, even though she was quite aware of who it was.

"Gilbert." Their hands squeezed together as he spun her around so she was eye to eye. He swayed her back and forth in his arms, savoring the moment. Neither of them cared at all for the shouting and noise surrounding them. All they cared about was being together at last.

Louise laid her head against his chest, listening to the heartbeat beneath his jacket. It was steady, finally calm after all he had been through. She traced the buttons on his sleeve, letting him hold her tighter.

The more she looked around and watched people dancing and cheering, all her mind could think of was her own home. Years had passed since she had been in France. That had been where she met Lafayette as well.

Tears pricked the corners of her eyes as she recalled the tense feeling the country had when she left. Something hadn't been right. She sensed something was to happen to France, something very unlikely.

Letters had flooded her porch over the past months, telling her of the situation in her home land. She couldn't bring herself to tell Lafayette, after all he had accomplished. For him to return home and find the streets filled with riots and sobbing, it wouldn't be at all pleasant.

"Are you alright?"

Awaken from her thoughts, she nodded furiously. "Y-yes." Never had she lied to him, but she couldn't say no and face the troubles to come. If she said anything about what was happening across the ocean, it would ruin the celebration right at the moment.

Louise told herself it was best to keep quiet for just a little longer. After all they had been through in the new land, she knew it wasn't good to keep secrets. But she knew the second that Lafayette found out about the troubles only a travel across the waters, he'd fall apart.

And she couldn't let herself see him in that manner just yet.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
A/N: Thank you loukim0107 for the request! I kind of tied in the fact that the French Revolution was nearing, since they're both from that country. And yeah, I hope it turned out well to your liking!