Afraid

Requested by: Quirkygirl775

Alone again, with only his quill and parchment, to comfort him, Alexander sat in his study late one evening. The ink on the page in front of him had barely dried before he continued to the next line. This caused the words to blur and smudge together.

After several lines, he gave up and rested his head in his hands. He knew he should rest, but that would be even worse. The second he laid down, images of death and terror would flash in his eyes. He would picture his son and keep putting the blame on himself once again.

Alexander took a deep breath before deciding to read some letters he had received. There was a stack of them now, for he had neglected reading them. He opened the first one and read the paper throughly.

When he had read the entire thing, he looked up at the ceiling. The letter caught him off guard and he didn't know how to respond.

In his time away from work, Alexander had forgotten about the upcoming election. There were many candidates, but it had come down to Jefferson and Burr. To think he had to choose between the characters was quite a lot of pressure.

Snickering, Alexander remembered the cabinet sessions where Jefferson tried to tear him to pieces. They spent hours on end throwing insults back and forth, not caring what Washington thought. It was always an act to see who was better.

However, he wouldn't deny that the man was smart, very intelligent for that matter. His opinions weren't what Alexander looked up to, but he tried to respect them.

The other candidate was Burr. Through their different opinions and arguments, Alexander had grown apart from his old friend. Were they even considered friends anymore? The man had talent in the political field, that was a fact.

As he thought about the situation, Alexander made his decision almost immediately. The people needed a tie breaker and he was about to hand it to them. Without wasting anytime, he replied back formally, casting his vote. Even though that vote might change lots, he hoped it would be for the better.

"Burr. He chose Burr."

In his study the next afternoon, Thomas ran a hand through his hair furiously. He had just received word that his opponent had defeated him. He trusted Alexander to vote for him.

Breathing heavily, he stormed out of his office and rushed down the hall. There was nothing able to stop him now. With the intensity of his anger and frustration, no one dared cross paths with Jefferson.

People in the streets celebrated and cheered, but their smiles faded when Thomas walked past. In his wake he left silence and shivers throughout the town.

When he reached the household he had been looking for, he knocked three times. The door opened almost immediately and Eliza answered it. Her eyes widened and she stuttered, "T-Thomas, I-"

Pathetic, he thought. He pushed past her without even saying hello. Eliza tripped backward, cowering in fear. She knew exactly why he was in such rage. And she could already hear the footsteps of her husband nearing.

Barely a second had passed before Alexander entered the main hall. His eyes laid on Eliza, who was almost in tears. But he didn't expect to see Jefferson standing there as well.

"Don't you ever touch my wife again."

If there was anything more that scared him, it was seeing his wife cry. Eliza rarely cried, only when Philip passed. Yet here she was, looking frightened. He took a shaky breath.

Crossing his arms, giving both adults a snarky glare, Thomas chuckled. "Well, you should have voted for me." There was silence at his mocking tone.