1.4 The Bremin Rainforest

Finally all the students had climbed onto the bus and Mr Bates stood in the aisle addressing all of us.

"Ok, listen up. Welcome to the year 10 science excursion, which is quite literally a walk in the park, the Bremin Ranges National Park." There was a few small chuckles from Bates little joke but not many including his own. "In groups of five you will orienteer a seven kilometre track to a pick up point marked on your map."

Groups of five huh? I wonder who I'll pair up with. Mr Bates continues to talk. "You are expected to record any flora, and with luck, fauna." Bates says.

I really hope we get to see some sort of wild animal, that would be so cool! What if we found the Panther that supposedly hid in the forest? I'm so excited for this. "And," Bates continues, "To break down social barriers and as a little treat for me, I've already preselected the groups, so don't expect to be with any of your friends."

A groan escaped the multitude of students on the bus, but it didn't really bother me. I went to Bremin primary school, and a lot of the kids transferred there, but I pulled out of school form year 6 to year 9 so I kinda missed the transfer into high school and all that stuff. The only thing I still knew from the school as that both schools shared the same music room, as the music room was the shared room between the two schools.

Not to brag but I did really well in primary when it came to music, I won the woodwind award 2 years in a row and the Choir award another 3 years in a row. They have some of my trophies in the cupboards too, I can't believe they still do though. But not only that,
My track and field records are in the high school too.

The bus ride didn't take too long, probably just under half an hour but the scenery was amazing. There was so many eucalyptus trees, I was expecting to see so many koalas in them....no such luck.

When the bus piled off everyone began noticing someone hiding in the bush. It was Phoebe, the lady who runs the magic shop Arcane Lane. Most people find her really scary and creepy, but I don't. I used to come into her shop all the time and she would tell me about magic, and her adventures with a girl called Alice.

"She freaks me out," Sam mutters as he stares at her.

"Who? Witch Lady?"

"You guys are just wusses." I say walking past them, Sam seems to ignore me, but Jake gives me another glare.

"Maybe she'll turn us all into Zombies?" Sam asks.

Is her serious? Oh my god, magic doesn't work like that. Well actually, it could but no one here in Bremin is that powerful according to Phoebe, besides her sister Alice. Other then that, I do t think people could be turned into zombies, maybe they could be controlled but not into zombies.

"She'll probably starve if she ate your brains." Ellen remarked highly sarcastic tones in her voice.

Sam laughed like he was unamused "Funny."

Bates get off the bus holding a large range of maps and clipboards for the trip, and being me I had to get and help him. "Here sir." I say grabbing a bunch of clipboards out of his hand and he smiles at me.

"Thank You Alexia." I roll my eyes at him. It's not that I don't like my name, it I like my nick name Allie better. But it's not like I totally ignore my name.

We all head towards a grass clearing just above the start of the track. We place the maps and clipboards on a picnic table, the one of Bates stands on the table and addresses everyone.
I head back into the crowd. "Ok year 10's. Form groups of five as I call out your names."

I wonder who's in my group?

"Tammy, Josh, Taylah, Zac, Maia"

"Ellen, Roary, Michael, Mia, Edward."

There was a whisper from behind me "what? I though we were supposed to be together!" That was Ellen.

"I dunno. He must have changed it."

"Jake, Alexia, Sam, Andy and Felix."

"And Ross, Trent, Delilah, Ami and Sarah. Now everyone form into your groups. Grab a map and a compass and let's get walking!"

We all head over to our respective groups, nod Andy calls out "Brains and Brawn. Excellent choice sir." He comments.

"Seriously sir are you right in the head?" Jake calls out grabbing our teachers attention.

"No," Bates replies "I'm your teacher Jake."

As I approach Sam offers a high five. "Allie-dude...girl?" He says awkwardly. I admire that he's trying to be nice, but it just didn't work.

"Come on, let's hitchhike outta here." Ellen complained, but probably too loudly because Bates heard her too.

"I heard that Ellen, and no, obviously." He says countering Ellen's plan. "Ok, so I need someone from each team to come up and collect a compass and map."

I volunteer myself, "I'll go..." But Felix was quick on the action.

"No, I've got it. Don't worry." He says rather hastily. Since when is Felix eager to get Into a bush walk.

"...at the third marker, lunch and refreshments will be provided, so aim to be there by 1:30or you'll miss out. And I expect you all at the fourth marks her 4 pm on the dot. No latecomers." Bates says sternly looking at each kind to make sure that the lesson gets through.

Jake raises his hand from behind me.

"How are we supposed to win with these three netballer's on our team?"

I scoff at him. "Just deal with it."

"It's a team building exercise Jake, not a race."

After that the groups started to leave, Jake muttered "it's always a race."

My god he's annoying. I mean, an you be anymore rude? I know I'm competitive but I do have a limit. Jake is just full steam ahead.