6.1 Spells and Poetry

"I'm not too sure how I can help you with this." I said laying back into the grass, listening to both the sound of pen scratching and the creek, "I have a very basic knowledge about spells."

Felix was scribbling away in his notebook, "Yeah but you're a girl."

I propped myself up on my elbows, "And what's that supposed to mean?"

"I didn't mean it like-," he stopped himself, "I just kinda guessed you'd be better at this poetry kind of stuff."

I lay back down, resting my head in the grass, "Since when was spell writing like poetry?"

He pressed his lips together, trying to think, "Words need to connect to the magic as much as they connect to each other." Felix thought for a moment, "It's like what we learned in English, where people remember things when they link together."

"Ok..." I thought about it for a moment, "Well what have you got?"

He pauses for a moment and looks at his page, "Air, fire, earth, water. One alone can no change make..." he trailed off, showing that he finished his spell, or what he had of it.

I looked out towards the river, "What is the spell trying to do?"

"A protection spell."

I turned to look at him, "Do you think we need it?"

He shrugged and sighed, "It's better to be safe than sorry."

"Air, fire, earth, water. One alone can no change make...but if the elements all awake?" I blurt out as soon at the idea popped into my head.

Felix nodded and noted it down, "Not bad. I guess we'll make a witch out of you yet."

I laughed, before standing up. Feeling a chill go down the back of my neck. But I didn't see anything around. There may be a chance that I am about paranoid about the whole thing though.

"I'm gonna head off Felix, still gotta find the family." I tell the boy, looking at him with a smile and a wave.

He nodded, and I took off, heading towards the town.

...

The walk out of our little shack area only took me a short time.

But it gave me a chance to think about what I did know about what happened to my family and where they are.

The twins are here, at the very least. I saw them in the photo, but they're not at my house. Bates lives there instead.

So...where do I go next?

I thought back to talking to Mrs Walker and what she said when I was at her place.

A small smile appeared on her face, "Why, you do look awfully familiar," it then quickly faded, "but I do not know you. Even though I would love to." She smiled hopefully.

Ok, so it feels like she thought I was familiar. Does that mean I did exist? Or do I look enough like my Cleo and Jade for it to spark a memory?

But then there was Phoebe.

"Why does it feel like I know you?" She was very stern.

I shrugged my shoulders, "I don't know. There's no evidence that I existed in this world either."

She said she felt know she knew me. Not that I look familiar, but that she knew me. I'd met her when I was baby sat by Alice. Can she really remember a 6 year old well enough to recognise me when I was older? It's not impossible.

Maybe I should find Phoebe? She might know, and she might be able to tell if I existed in that time.

Maybe my family just decided to move house? I know they were thinking about that back in the day. But I knew that I wanted to stay here, and I think so did my sisters, so in the end we stayed. Or maybe there is something magical at play? But surely not.

My mum wanted to get everyone out of the Bremin. To get everyone away from everything. But we managed to convince her that this was something that I don't think any of us would ever be able to escape. Especilly my mum and I.

Ok, so my sisters existed here, for a time period at the very least, but the only thing that could have happened in that time was the house fire.

So maybe in this universe we moved out of town? Maybe here my Mum couldn't;t be convinced to stay, so we left.

I think I know what I have to do. And it's not something I do that often.

I'm going to have to visit the old house.

...

Well, when I say old house, I really mean newly done up old house. Those who worked on the house manage to rebuild it in such a way that it resembled the old one, just with a couple of upgrades. Essentially made it much more fire safe.

I just had one more street to go.

They rebuilt the house in honour of my dad, who did so much for the community. You know, he coached the kids soccer, was always at the school working bee or who knows what.

And I guess what gos around comes around.

Not that my mum wanted to move into it, so they turned it into a sort of club house for any function for anything. Mostly sport people used it for meetings and such, since my dad was so into sports.

I made it to the street.

But I saw it instantly. It was different.

The house, I had that image etched into my brain regardless of the littl number of times I had been there, after all it was just a remodel of the same house.

But, not it was so vastly different.

It looked like a big hall, that could be used for anything, with a beautiful garden out the front of the house, which just brigened the place. It was modern, nothing like what it used to look like. Dull and grey walls around the outside which big windows with curtains that hung down which stopped my from seeing inside.

But I think that worst thing that I noticed what the sign that stood tall in the garden.

'REED CLUB AND FUNCTION HOUSE'