4.4 Testing Theories

Felix, Sam and I got back to the hide out before the rest did.

Sam wandered off to the river to go and clean up a little while Félix set up his own little protective charm interpretative dance.

I was distracted when Jake and Andy came marching through the scrub, neither of them had any food with them. So I guess they failed, "Any luck?"

Andy pushes straight past me, with a distressed look on his face, "My family is disfunctional." He huffed.

I looked at Jake, "We had a bit of a run in with his family."

Andy began to pull down doors and things to make bed bases, "They used to be so happy," Jake helps the boy pull them down.

I follow in their footsteps, pulling down a cupboard door on the ground, stumbling a little so Jake came over and helped me out.

I let off a small smile, "thanks."

"They used to like each other." Andy continued,  "This reality's horrible."

I walk and grab a sleeping bag and unroll it, laying it on the board I had just put down.

Jake agreed, "For me it's the opposite. I've never seen my mum so happy."

"My own family called the police on me." Andy sighed, looking a little lost and confused.

I sighed, "At least you know where your family is."

Jake finally noticed that Sam was just lying around, "Are you going to give us a hand? These beds are for all of us."

Sam just kinda ignored the jock, "So what do we do if we catch a panther?"

I watched as Jake looked outside, watching Felix do...whatever it was he was doing. I think it's some kind of ritual to make those amulets rocks work? But honestly, it just looked like a crazy dance.

"Feed it Felix?"

Andy look as well, " What's he doing now?"

"Jazz? Ballet?"

Sam ran in, diving on the bed that I had just made. He smiled up at me, "This is heaps comfy.

I laughed at him, "good to know."

"Oh, thanks, Sam." Jake complains, glaring at the boy on the bed.

Sam shrugs, "Hey, I'm helping out. I'm just testing it, OK?" He smirked leaning back into it before his eyes snapped open, "Oh, I'm starving."

"Your granny was right." Jake looks at Andy, "We ARE like ghosts, haunting our own home town."

Andy sat down, and so did we all, "Ghosts of boys trapped in the wrong reality." The boys eyes lit up, and a smile appeared on his face, "Occam's Razor."

Occams Razor? That theory that is the simplest answer is the most likely. Why is he taking about that?

"What now?" Jake raises his eyebrows, clearly confused by the words.

"The simplest explanation is the most likely.
What if we didn't go through a wormhole?" His eyes lit up thinking he had found the simplest answer, "What if we're unconscious? Lucid dreaming!"

Jake was skeptical, "Enough with the theories."

Andy looks at Sam, who looked just as or even more puzzled than Jake, "Where were we before everything went haywire?"

"In the forest?" Sam answered.

"We might still be there right now Unconscious!" He exclaimed, all his pieces were fitting together perfectly.

"Really? How can you tell?" I ask, leaning forward, more intrigued.

"Don't you think it's weird that when we fell, no-one was hurt? This is all a fantasy! A final attempt by our neural transmitters to cling on to life!" with every word he said he became increasingly more passionate about it. He really believes that this is what has happened. "We have to wake ourselves or we'll starve to death!"

Sam laid back on his bed, "You're an idiot."

Andy fought the urge to let it get to him, and fight back. But he'd rather prove his point, "I'm an idiot? Watch this!"

He shot up and ran out the door. I scrambled to my feet, "Andy don't..." I warned standing in the doorway. But he continued running, full steam ahead at the tree in front of him.

Andy bounced off it like it was nothing, falling to the ground with thud and a groan.

Jake stood beside me, chuckling at me, "You sure stopped him."

"That's some pretty conclusive evidence." Sam stepped out of the shack with a smile on his face.

Jake shook his head, "Go easy on him. He's had a hard day."

"There's no way that he's ok..." I hiss watching him lay on the ground, before he suddenly springs to life, "you're kidding..."

"It has to be something that will really shock us." He says springing back to his feet and dusting himself off. He then took off without another word.

I looked to Jake in a panic, "I think we'd better follow him." He says giving me a slightly amused look.

"This isn't funny!" I snap at him taking off after Andy, and he easily keep up pace with me.

He smirked, "You've got to admit, it's kinda entertains."

I tried to sprint ahead, but he only kept up with me. So I ignored him, "Andy wait!" I should catching his attention, "where are you going?" We all began walking quickly after him.

"Something high!" was the response I got back, "Or fast." He considered, "A train, that'll do it!" He began to take off again, so I picked up speed.

"Andy!" I shout, but he stops again, "The train hasn't run in years!" I shouted, stopping to catch my breath slightly.

He stopped, looking from me to his watch, "But the school bus runs every day."

He took off again, running faster than before, "Oh, no..." I heard Jake whisper from behind me and I take off sprinting. Looking back over my shoulder I noticed that they had started to run after Andy too.

He turned a corner in the trial, and I didn't see where he went. "ANDY!" I scream looking around for him. God, I don't know where the road is! "ANDY STOP!"

The boys catch up to me, with Jake grabbing me by the arm, "up this way," before he left go. It was like a small push in the right direction.

Off in the distance I noticed Andy talking to himself, standing next to the side of the toad.

"He won't actually do it right?!" I panic running as fast as I can.

Felix panted beside me, "It's Andy, he's going to test this whether we like it or not."

"Holy crap!" I should running faster, noticing that there was a girl crossing the road, and she was about to get him by a bus.